Neck Lift Recovery. What is the Real Downtime? (photo)

I'm 53 and in good shape. Have a great doc who did my t- tuck and brst red. 2 yrs. ago. Don't want to wait too long to do a neck lift bc I heard it looks less natural the longer u wait, but want 2 know this: what's the REAL down time? I know everyone's different, but what are the 'stages' of recovery? Don't need lipo and not having anything else done. I know I'll have to sleep on my back for awhile and take it easy, but I'm more concerned w my appearance during recovery (the irony!) LOL.

Neck Lift Recovery and Downtime

Recovery time from a neck lift or facelift varies from person to person. Typically most patients will be in a had wrap dressing applied in the operating room for 3 days. Keeping your head elevated during the first weeks minimizes swelling. You should be up waliking immedciately after surgery to prevent clots in your legs. Most patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). The marks from a facelift are noticeable at first, but are easily hidden with a bit of “camouflage” make-up which our experts can teach you to do.
The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen.

Real Neck Lift Recovery Is 2-3 weeks

You will be up and around the day after your neck lift.

Your neck will feel very tight for about two weeks.

The main recovery is the time for bruising to resolve which is usually 2 weeks but can take 3.

You should be comfortable being seen in public after a week or two but may find you want to wear a scarf or turtle neck to cover the bruising.

I recommend not planning photos or an important social event for at least 6 weeks after surgery.

We always recommend approximately two weeks for recovery for a neck lift.  A lot of our patients feel better after a week when the initial swelling is reduced. 

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Realistic down time for neck lift

In most cases it takes a week or so to recover from an isolated neck lift. If a neck lift is part of a full facelift and other combined procedures then you can expect this to take a litlle longer. No question you will want to camouflage the face and neck after the surgery but you should be looking good fairly quickly if its the neck on its own.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift Surgery Downtime

When I perform a necklift as an isolated procedure (without a facelift), I recommend people to take about a week off. During that week the first day after neck lift surgery, the dressing is removed. At my practice in New York, I do not typically use drains for a neck lift. There's usually some brusing and swelling; this level of swelling diminishes over several days. Most of my patients go back to work and use a scarf or makeup to camouflage 1 week after surgery. After 2 weeks, bruising should have gone away.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Real down-time

The real downtime of a neck lift varies person to person

Best case scenario 1 week

Average ~ 2 weeks

Sam Naficy, MD

Neck lift recovery

The recovery for a neck lift alone is roughly 7-10 days. Quick. If you add your face (facelift) it's more like 2 weeks. Good luck

As degrees of neck laxity vary so do the choices in operations and recovery times. The more aggressive the neck lifting surgery, complete opening or undermining, the longer the recovery. This could be as long as a month. For a mini neck lift recovery is short, about a week to 10 days. 

Stages of recovery

Your neck skin will look red and bruised in some areas more than others for the first few days after surgery. Those areas will then fade to a yellow and then dissappear between 1-2 weeks. Swelling will decrease over a two week period. We recommend taking arnica 4-5 days before the surgery and during recovery to help decrease bruising. Bromelain (an enzyme) in pinnapple helps reduce swelling as well. Finally we always recommend no blood thinning meds 2 weeks before or after surgery.

Neck Lift Recovery

I have had a similar experience to Dr. Fechner in that a Neck Lift alone is rarely performed in my practice.  There are two reasons for this: an older patient population in SW Florida with increased cervical skin laxity, and the fact that Facelifts have a higher satisfaction rate in my patient population.  However, based on the indications on the photo provided, I feel that a limited incision Neck Lift with platysmaplasty and suture suspension is a reasonable procedure.  Beyond the standard physical limitation for two weeks after the procedure, swelling and bruising are not significant.  One observation I have had is that about 50% of the patients who have  a neck lift alone proceed to having a Mini-lift (cheek, jowl) lift within 2 years.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon