Neck Lift Recovery

What to expect during neck lift recovery? Does it take a long time to heal? Will I need a lot of help around the house?

Duration for neck lift recovery & what to expect

A neck lift involves removal of fat above and below the platysma muscle, as well as a platysma-plasty. This is more than just simple Liposuction of the neck. A neck lift recovery will take approximately two weeks to make sure all the bruising and swelling is gone after the surgery. It is important not to take any aspirin or ibuprofen for two weeks before and after the surgery, and it is also important not to perform any exercise or heavy-duty lifting or strenuous activities for two weeks after the surgery. for many examples, please see link below to our neck lift photo gallery

Neck Lift Recovery

Recovery time from a  neck lift or facelift varies from person to person. Typically most patients will be in a had wrap dressing applied in the operating room for 3 days. Keeping your head elevated during the first weeks minimizes swelling. You should be up waliking immedciately after surgery to prevent clots in your legs. Most patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). The marks from a facelift are noticeable at first, but are easily hidden with a bit of “camouflage” make-up which our experts can teach you to do.
The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Recovery may be less than you think

Let me start by saying that patients who undergo a necklift are usually so thrilled when they see the improvement in the appearance of their neck on the first postoperative day that it makes the recovery seem worth every day!  That said, similar to other surgical procedures, there is some variability in the recovery from patient to patient.  In general, the recovery is about 7 to 10 days.  The answer also depends in part on what you mean by "recovery".  Some patients feel great and ready to return to work in 3 or 4 days, while some feel like they need to take it easy for longer periods of time.  Some patients have very little swelling and bruising, while others may have more of both for a longer duration.  Regardless of the recovery, patients are generally delighted with the results that can be achieved with a necklift, and very happy they elected to do it.

Lisa Ishii, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Corset platysmaplasty

Not all neck lifts are the same. Over the last 4 years, I have used the corset platysmaplasty with great success. The recovery is typically one week and the results have withstood the test of time. Furthermore, I have been able to make even the worst necks look beautiful.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Neck lift recovery is quite short.

Provided there are no complications, most necklift patients can return to reasonable daily activity the day after surgery.  There may be some bruising and visible sutures that can contribute to social downtime, but physically I want my patients up and about immediately.  By 2 weeks all the sutures have been removed and obvious swelling and bruising is gone.  Improvement, however, in the final outcome might be visible for many months.

Recovery for Neck Lift surgery

I normally combine neck lift surgery with facelift surgery. As the face ages the neck usually also has lost some elasticity and begins to sag. My fees for facelift always include the neck and I believe it to be one of the important part of the facial surgery.

Recovery for this surgery is about 6 days and clients find this surgery has a very quick and not painful recovery period. Clients are seen post-operatively in my practice at 6 days and many of the stitches are removed. I have very little bruising with this surgery and most clients return to work the following week after surgery.

John Ward, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift recovery

Very hard question to give a definitive answer. Some can recover in days others at least 6 weeks. There are so many intervening factors that is why an in person evaluation from a boarded surgeon is in order. Best of luck!

Neck Lift surgery should require minimal downtime

If you are otherwise fit and healthy, a Neck Lift typically has a minimal amount of downtime and you should be up and about within a day or two. It could take up to two weeks for the bruising and swelling to subside however depending upon you and your health status.

As far as performing normal work around the house I encourage my patients to actually do that after surgery except I do not like them lifting more than 20 pounds. However, this can vary from surgeon to surgeon so you will need to ask them for more advice on that. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Necklift recovery is surprisingly easy

I agree with the other doctors posts that a necklift has a realtively easy recovery. Most of my patients have very little need for pain medication afterwards. There is also usually little brusing and just mild swelling. Most patients feel comfotable being out in public after 4-5 days and I have had many patients fly back home looking good at 9 days postop.

Robert B. Pollack, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift Recovery

There are many procedures that can achieve rejuvenation of the neck. These range form simple liposuction to a full face and neck lift. They all have a relatively fast recovery, even the latter, if done in a modern, less invasive manner. I personally prefer the MACS Facelift for most neck lifts, as it is less invasive, results in excellent neck rejuvenation, and improves the jowl and lower and central face too. People who have this procedure are usually back to most normal activities in less than 2 weeks.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon