How to Correct Thin Neck?

I have the opposite issue, my neck is too thin, and the muscles are really prominent. I'd like to know the cost to correct my problem.

Thin skin of the neck and your options

This is a problem which has no easy solution. In most instances we interpret thin skin as loose skin and we perform a neck lift. However, if thin skin is the real problem, one of the only products available to thicken the dermis is retin-A. The neck can be very sensitive to this and some patients require building a tolerance with retinol type products first before progressing to the lowest dose or Retin-A. Discuss this option with your dermatologist.

Though it is not technically part of the face, a neck with loose, sagging skin can age the face dramatically. A neck lift is a standard part of most facelift surgeries, as the neck skin is mobilized in continuity with the lower face.

Immediately under the skin of the neck is the platysma muscle, which you can easily see in a mirror when you clench your teeth and tighten your jaw. In youth, this paired muscle meets in the midline below the chin. With age, the right and left sides of the platysma often separate, producing vertical 'cords' in the anterior neck. The platysma can be divided anteriorly and tightened during neck lift cosmetic surgery to permanently eliminate these 'cords' and improve the neck contour. One tightened in the midline below the chin, lateral traction on the platysma then creates a 'sling' which elevates the soft tissues below the jawline.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Neck skin

If your skin is very thin, this cannot be improved, but the underlying muscles that are prominent can probably be treated.

Options to improve a thin neck.

There is nothing that can be done to improve the thickness of a neck or reduce the prominent muscles. The anterior platysmal bands, when present, which include the neck cords, can be tightened in the front of the neck and clipped so that they do not return when the face/neck lift is performed. The cost for a comprehensive face/neck lift operation is approximately $11,000, which includes the operating room, the anesthesia, and the surgeon’s fee for performing the procedure.

Thin skin on the neck

If you have such thin skin in this area, no thickening from Fraxel laser would be enough to hide the muscle bands. Surgical lifting might be the only appropriate treatment to provide you with a good result. Please see a plastic surgeon for a consultation.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

The neck cord muscles can be excised and improve the look

The thinness of the skin can't be improved. The muscle cords can be excised at the same time as the neck is tightened with a neck lift to improve the aged look of the neck.

Neck shape, aging, fillers, fat grafting

Dear Golf_laquinta

Thank you for your question!

There is no easy solution for a thin neck. Fillers and fat grafting may cause irregularities so I would approach this with caution. I have seen results of Sculptra in the neck--both excellent and disasterous. This would require a very skilled and experienced injector--but personally I would be very reticent to perform this.

Trevor M. Born, MD

Sculptra or Fat injections for a Thin Neck

It is a difficult problem to fix. However, injections of Sculptra or Fat will help in thickening the skin and making the neck look fuller.  Also use a good quality skin care to improve the neck skin and that makes it look more attractive.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gaining weight may help with thin neck

Remember the saying by the famous and beautiful French actress Catherine Deneuve:

When you get older, you have to choose between your fanny or your face.

This is what happens as we age: if we don't have enough subcutaneous fat on the face or neck, it can age us and make us look older.

So, you have a couple of options: you can try to gain some weight and see if this issue improves, or you can just make peace with your thin neck and think about all the good attributes that go along with it.

Good luck and Happy Holidays.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

No good solutions for thin neck

There are no good solutions for the absence of fat between the neck skin and the underlying platysma and other neck muscles. Maybe a controlled increase in dietary calories supervised by a dietitian would be the answer.