Neck Lift Incision Under the Chin?

Why can't surgeons simply make an incision under the chin to access and tighten neck musculature in cases of Neck lift? I do not need a lower facelift; I just have a neck that does not match my face, due to cervical spondylosis. It surely cannot be too difficult to access and tie these loose muscles without drastic surgery. I look like a bullfrog at the moment, so Botox is unlikely to help me.

Neck Lift Can Be Done Through Chin Incision

+5

If in fact you only have laxity or banding under your chin, correction or neck lift can be done through an incision beneath your chin.

A Corset Platysmaplasty is the name of this procedure.

Corset platysmaplasty

+1

The corset platysmaplasty works perfectly to correct for platysma bands, subcutaneous and submuscular fat and a modest amount of skin excess. If you have lots of excess skin, then the procedure requires small incisions behind the ear, as well.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Neck lift with chin only incision

+1

In fact, it is very possibel to do what you describe.  This requires though that you have skin that will shrink since it is not being excised.  If the skin won't shrink well, then the ear incisions are required to remove it.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Neck lift incisions

+1

Certan aspects of a neck lift can be approached from the area under the chin. I use this incision all the time. You have access to the submental fat and platysma bands so that they can be plicated and sometimes even cut. But, if there is a lot of loose skin, you have to remove it and that means incisions behind the ears.

A neck incision cannot tighten skin during a neck lift.

+1

Although the platysma muscle can be tightened through a neck incision, there is extra skin that cannot be tightened just through the neck. Therefore, other incisions are necessary.  You need something else to tighten that neck skin.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift incision is for excess fat removal

+1

The neck lift incision is an operation designed for removing excess fat above and below the platysmal muscle in the neck. It sounds from the description that there may be excess skin, and the neck lift will do nothing for excess skin. If there is extra skin in the neck, it must be dealt with through a full face/neck lift.