Concern About Neck Lift Scar

I am scheduled to have a Neck Lift on the 12th but I have some concerns. On my first visit, the doctor told me that the scar would be less than an inch just under my chin. My last visit prior to surgery, he tells me that because I am not having a face lift, he will need to make an incision the shape of a upside down "U" and will be about 2.5 inches. Now, I don't want to go thru with it. What are your recommendations?

Neck lift scars

+2

There are different degress of neck lift surgery, none of which involve increasing the submental scar. The only time i increase the length of the scar isif the patient has a witches chin and needs improvement of the submental area.

Neck lift scar

+2

The incision is typically three-quarters of an inch long and straight and is located in the submental crease directly below the chin. Skin is not removed from a neck lift procedure in the submentum. It can create puckering of the skin and should not be performed. If excess skin is needed to be removed, then a full face/neck lift needs to be performed.

Submental incision for neck lift

+2

Most of the work of a neck lift is done at the deep level, not at the skin level.

It is a mistake in my opinion to resect anything more than a minimal amount of skin from below the neck; it can cause great artifact (the exception is the direct neck excision, which we do not perform but gets nice results in highly selected, usually much older patients).

We prefer a wide interlacing technique for the neck rather than a centrally based platysmaplasty or a transsection of the platysma, which can yield a skeletonized appearing neck with visible glands.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Incision placement is critical

+1

For the most part, incisions made for neck work will hide nicely under the chin and jaw bone regardless of the size. Unfortunately, any time that you make an incision you leave a scar and sometimes scar revisions are necessary to hide the scar even further.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Slightly C-shaped Neck Lift scar

+1

An upside down U seems a little dramatic and may not have been explained properly. I would discuss this again with the surgeon (have him draw it on you) or seek a second opinion. Typically, a straight line or slightly C-shaped incision is used depending on the natural skin folds. This incision typically heals to be unnoticeable.

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Get a second opinion.

+1

You can always have surgery on another day. Get another opinion from an experienced facelift surgeon and discuss the pros and cons of doing things different ways.

When in doubt, don't do it

+1

My general principle with my patients is, 'When in doubt about your surgery, don't do it."

You need to feel comfortable with your surgeon and your own decision. You should meet with her or him again and discuss your apprehensions.

In my experience it is difficult to achieve the same result with under the chin incision alone as with face/neck lift incision. Its easier to pull the extra skin behind the ear than under the chin. You should discuss this option (Face/neck lift) with your surgeon.

Regards!

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Depends on your age and the diagnosis

+1

I have been trying to improve neck contours by just using the submental incision. If only liposuction is needed than this is okay. But I'm finding out that it's very hard if not impossible to get a great neck result without making the incisions round the ears. The key is you want a great result and it done properly the incisions hide very well. An up side down "U" incision doesn't make sense to me. I would seek a second or third opinion. Don't go to surgery until you're very comfortable.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift incisions

+1

If you need a true necklift you will require incisions around the ears period end of story. If you do not want that, then do not have the procedure.