16 months post op. The tip and columella are still numb and hard. Pollybeak or post-op swelling? (Photo)

I had a rhinoplasty 16 months ago and the tip and columna of my nose are still numb and hard. Now I'm concerned I may have developed a pollybeak. Any advice is appreciated.

Polly beak after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are concerned especially with the idea of developing a supratip fullness. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is not uncommon.

To assess swelling, a physical examination is required in person. Nonetheless, it is important to keep in mind that a year is required before formulating how your nose will be, but longer with a thick skin. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendation at the moment is to be patient and allow nature to take its course. If at the end you remained unsatisfied with the end results down the road, you can benefit from a revision rhinoplasty.

The finest cosmetic results in any particular case are based on a variety of factors, including: the unique anatomy of the patient, realistic expectations, a well-informed and detailed discussion with your plastic surgeon concerning the best options for you especially covering a deep understanding of the pros and cons of any given choice you will adopt.

So please keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon online who offers to tell you what to do without a physical examination covering the nature and the status of the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative solution would not be in your best interest. With that in mind, it is the safest and for your best interest to find a plastic surgeon with solid experience and certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons that you will trust and be comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Swelling or pollybeak?

The only way to now what is swelling is by a physical examination. Even at 16 months you might benefit from night taping. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Ask if there were grafts placed in the columella and or tip that might explain what you are feeling.  You have what appears to be a very nice result overall and quite natural appearing

You surgery may be a requirement.

As long as the nose is changing there is a possibility that it will end up as you wish. One photograph is not enough to make a judgment on the trend. If the nose doesn't change it looks as though you would benefit from a revision.