Can I Be Immersed in Water 2 Weeks After Breast Augmentation?

Can i go into a natural Spring 2 weeks after Breast Augmentation surgery without getting an infection? It wouldn't be salt water, it would be natural fresh water, and what if i was to be tipped over in my tube and go in completely. Should i be worried?

Swimming after breast augmentation

+2

I would disagree with the previous answers. Care of incisions isn't just for breast augmentation, it's true for other incisions as well. In breast augmentation, infections via the incision are potentially more serious because the implant might have to be removed if infection is established around the implant.

Incisions can be protected in various ways and generally a bit of water splashing around such as a shower doesn't stress the incision. The problem is soaking which weakens the seal of the incision and potentially allows bacteria in whether from the water or the body. Taking a submerged bath, hot tubbing, and swimming all result in soaking and should be avoided for two weeks after surgery.

It takes two weeks of uneventful healing for an incision to build up about 80% of its strength so I use two weeks of protection before allowing soaking. Even after this you don't want to do anything that would irritate the incisional scar as this will potentially effect the scar result adversely. Drying, cracking, friction, and ultraviolet exposure are the most common irritants to avoid.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Ask Your Surgeon, But It Should Be Okay Depending On Your Recovery

+1
At two weeks after your surgery, you should be okay to go underwater. However, this is only if your surgeon says it's okay and your recovery has been going well. Please ask your surgeon for their advice. 

Regardles, however, please make sure you cover up your incisions from sun exposure, as not doing so can make your scars much more noticeable.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

+1

Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to guide you in regards to activity resumption after breast  augmentation surgery. From the healing standpoint most patients are able to swim again starting 3 to 6 weeks  after surgery. Best wishes.

Can I be immersed in water 2 weeks after breast augmentation?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! On average, a period of approximately 3-4 weeks on average is typical. Submerging in stagnant water, be it bathtubs, jacuzzis, pools, lakes, oceans, etc. can certainly increase your chance for infections. I usually await the incisions to be fully healed prior to allowing for this type of activity. If you do have any wound issues or delayed healing, expect that you will be restricted from doing such things. However, I allow my patients to shower and clean incisions at 3 days postoperative. Regardless, the answer will vary amongst plastic surgeons and you should discuss this with your surgeon and follow his/her instructions. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Immersion of incisions in water

+1

As you can see there are many different opinions on when you can swim and get an incision wet.  In my opinion the incision needs to be completely closed with no opened areas. As  you mentioned the concern would be infection.  I recommend thoroughly washing the incision after going swimming.  The risk of developing an infection in this instance is low.  Now go have a good time.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Water immersion after breast augmentation: bath, pool, lake, or ocean

+1

Every practitioner will vary in their recommendation regarding swimming or immersion in a pool/lake/ocean. This will depend on the status of the wound. Furthermore, it will depend on the type of activity; resting on a tube is permissible but tubing would not.

I let my patients shower the night after surgery

+1

i would let them swim in a pool after 5 days and to be honest, it is probably safe after about 3 days.

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

As long as the breast augmentation wound is sealed you can bath or swim anytime

+1

As long as the breast augmentation wound is sealed, it can be exposed to water anytime.

All Plastic surgeon close their breast augmentation wounds with several layers of stitches. This makes it very hard for water to penetrate the superficial layer of skin even early on. Normally, as the blood clot sealing the wound stabilizes, the wound seals by 36-48 hours making water penetration impossible.

I prefer to ADDITIONALLY apply a layer of Dermabond surgical adhesive on top of the stitched (invisible buried stitches) wound which forms a great seal. It allows me to forgo the use of any bandages and my patients can then shower and bath right after surgery if they wish.

At two weeks, your wounds should be sealed and you could enjoy swimming.

Bathing after a Breast Augmentation

+1

After a breast augmentation, I typically allow my patients to shower and swim after 1 week.  Can you still get an infection?  Yes, but your chances are pretty low.  Either way, make sure you get your incisions checked out right before you go swimming to make sure your incisions are well healed.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD