My Tummy Tuck Scar is Very Dark, is This Normal?

Dark Tummy Tuck Scar Can Be Lightened with IPL or Laser

+2

Thank you for your question. A dark scar, called Hyper pigmentation, is common in surgical scars in darker skinned patients.

Early pigmentation can be treated with topical Cortisone and Hydroquinone, a skin bleach.

However, dark Tummy Tuck Scars older than 6 weeks usually require more aggressive treatment. I use IPL-Intense Pulsed Light which works very well. Lasers can also be used

Dark scars after a tummy tuck can be normal...

+1

Darkness in post-operative scars is normal during the healing process. Scars go through several stages of healing which can take up to a year or more before completion.  Depending on how old the scar is, it could be normal or it could be an early sign of a scar problem. In our practice we always recommend post-operative scar care including massage, strict sun avoidance and consideration of adjuncts such as silicone sheeting or even steroid injection (although this is not often necessary with most cases). Overall scars tend to get better with time. Any doubts should be brought to the attention of your doctor.

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Scar hyperpigmentation

+1

Scars heal depending on wound healing genetic and tension on the incision.  As a result some scars may be hyper pigmented or dark.  The inflammatory process associated with wound healing and surgery can also lead to post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation.  It is important to avoid sun exposure to the scars until the scars have faded in color and are no longer red or pink.  Otherwise, they may become dark as well, and stay that way.  There are a variety of scar products with a bleaching or lightening agent you can try.  

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Hyperpigmentation of Tummy Tuck Scar Normal?

+1

Depending on the patient's skin type/ ethnicity etc., hyperpigmentation of scars can be very “normal”. If you have concerns about the nature of your scarring,  you will be best served to address them with your plastic surgeon who is in the best position to advise you.