Have You Seen Internal Permanent Stitches from a Tummy Tuck Surface After Several Years?

Tummy tuck was done approximately 2005. Over the last 2 years, I have had two stitches surface - initially causing an indent in the skin. The first one was removed and said to be an "abscessed suture". The second is still in, but has now broken through the skin surface. It is very sensitive to touch, air, water. Has anyone heard this? And maybe what causes it?

Tummy Tuck and Permanent Stitches Surfacing?

+2

Yes, I have seen permanent sutures used during tummy tuck surgery surface even years after the tummy tuck operation was performed.  Usually the problem is  resolved once the suture has been removed.  Very rarely, the situation becomes repetitive and necessitates exploration and removal of all the offending stitches.

Spitting stitches

+1

It is uncommon but not unheard of for buried sutures to migrate to the skin surface after abdominoplasty.  This is what we refer to as "spitting a stitch".  The stitch should be removed by your plastic surgeon.  It should not be left in place for the reasons you mention.

Robert L. Kraft, MD