Will my Rippling Get Worse As my Breasts Settle?

I had my breast augmentation just over a week ago and have noticed some rippling that is not visible but I can feel in the middle of my breasts, only on the left breast. As my breasts settle and drop will this become visible? Is there anything I can do to prevent this happening?

Feeling the Implant Ripples is Common

+1

Many women can feel the ripples in the implant, even though there is no visible ripplingVisible rippling can be improved by placing the implant under the muscle, switching to silicone, fat grafting to the breast, or the addition of a dermal matrix.

Breast implant rippling

+1

Breast implant rippling may occur from tight muscles, swelling, or thin skin overlying the breast implant.  At this time, I would manage conservatively and reexamine in 1 to 2 months with your plastic surgeon.  If you have saline breast implants, an option may be to switch over to silicone implants.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Rippling early on?

+1

Thanks for your question. The rippling you are experiencing is likely from swelling unless you have breast implants placed above the muscle. As the swelling goes away, the rippling should be better if implants are under the muscle, but might increase if you have implants above the muscle. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Breast Implant Rippling

+1

Hi,

Your concern is understandable, but try not to worry too much at this early  time. And no, there is nothing preventive for you to do.

There will be noticeable positive changes over the next several months as the swelling decreases, the breasts soften, and the implants settle.

Factors that can increase or decrease the chances of  feeling or seeing rippling include: Thickness of the breast and chest skin/fat layer (can change with weight fluctuations and pregnancies), placement of implant(over or under muscle), gel vs. saline, fill volume of saline implant, and a few others.

Thanks for your question and best of luck!

Stephen M. Lazarus, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Non-visible rippling of breast implants

+1

Rippling and palpable folds are an unfortunate consequence of breast augmentation surgery.  The more soft tissue that you have covering the implant the less this is a problem.  Saline implants in a woman who has a very thin soft tissue coverage is always a problem.  Some times it can be improved by adding fluid to the implant.  Some times as the capsule forms around the implant this can get better.  Since you are only 1 week post op you obviously need to give it more time.   Once you get out to 3 - 4 months it would be a good time to re-evaluate your result and see if adding fluid would help or possibly switch out to a submuscular gel filled implant.  Fortunately your rippling is not visible so you may be happy with the improvement in size and shape of your breasts.  

Rippling

+1

rippling is an unfortunate byproduct of the implant. The greater the padding or soft tissue coverage ove the implant the less you will feel this

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Non-visible Rippling

+1

If you had saline implants, I'd like to know your fill volume and implant size.  I always try to pick an implant that I can fill to its maximum, as this helps avoid rippling.  Hope this helps.

Peter J. Simon, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Rippling after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the press patient procedure.

No, early rippling after breast augmentation does not necessarily mean that this will become more visible as time goes on and, unfortunately, there is nothing that you can do to prevent any rippling/palpability issues that will arise in the future ( possibly with the exception of gaining weight).

Your plastic surgeon, of course will be in the best position to advise you more specifically.

Best wishes;  hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of your surgery in the long-term.

Rippling after Breast Augmentation

+1

Early rippling may not necessarily be a sign that there will be rippling later on. You are only 1 week after surgery and need to heal more. After a few months, you will have a better idea of what your final result will be.

Matthew Schulman, MD