My Parents Have Macular Degeneration. If I Use Latisse for Lengthening my Eyelashes, Am I Increasing my Risk of Getting AMD?

Both of my parents have macular degeneration (wet and dry). If I use Latisse, will I be increasing my risk of getting AMD?

Macular Degeneration and Latisse

+1

The ingredient in Latisse that makes lashes grow is the same as one of the glaucoma medications, the class of which is known as "prostaglandin analogues." I know of no link between use of prostaglandin analogues and macular degeneration. If such a link existed, we would be required to warn many of our glaucoma patients of said risk.

Jacksonville Ophthalmologist

Latisse and macular degeneration

+1

Latisse should not have any effect on you developing macular degeneration.  However, you should get a complete eye examination to include intraocular pressure and a dilated fundus exam. Latisse lengthens, thickens and darkens lashes and is not contraindicated if one has macular degeneration or cataracts.  I hope this reply helps. 

Las Vegas Ophthalmologist

Macular degeneration and Latisse

+1

Though there is not an established link between using Latisse and increasing the risk for macular degeneration, I would advise against using. It will be best to just not tempt fate.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.