My Parents Have Macular Degeneration. If I Use Latisse for Lengthening my Eyelashes, Am I Increasing my Risk of Getting AMD?

Both of my parents have macular degeneration (wet and dry). If I use Latisse, will I be increasing my risk of getting AMD?

Macular Degeneration and Latisse

The ingredient in Latisse that makes lashes grow is the same as one of the glaucoma medications, the class of which is known as "prostaglandin analogues." I know of no link between use of prostaglandin analogues and macular degeneration. If such a link existed, we would be required to warn many of our glaucoma patients of said risk.

Jacksonville Ophthalmologist

Latisse and macular degeneration

Latisse should not have any effect on you developing macular degeneration.  However, you should get a complete eye examination to include intraocular pressure and a dilated fundus exam. Latisse lengthens, thickens and darkens lashes and is not contraindicated if one has macular degeneration or cataracts.  I hope this reply helps. 

Leslie M. Sims, MD
Las Vegas Ophthalmologist

Macular degeneration and Latisse

Though there is not an established link between using Latisse and increasing the risk for macular degeneration, I would advise against using. It will be best to just not tempt fate.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD