Why is One of my Nostrils Bigger Than the Other, but Yet I Don't Have Breathing Problems? (photo)

Just wondering if I have what many say is a deviated septum. Just wondering what it would cost for a more symmetrical look.

Asymmetric nostrils

+1

Actually most people's nostrils are asymmetric, we just rarely look at other people from that angle.  It does appear that the caudal (bottom) end of your septum is in the left nostril adding to the asymmetry.  If you are not bothered by your breathing, surgery is not necessary.  

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical Nosrils without Breathing Problem

+1

It is possible that your obviously deviated septum is not causing a breathing problem. But how do you know that you don't have any breathing obstruction? I once did a cosmetic rhinoplasty on the #1 woman tennis player in the world who told me she did not have any breathing problems. After I did her nose and septum she realized how poor her breathing had been.

Asymmetric nostril and deviated septum

+1
The reason one nostril is larger than the other is due to a caudal septal deviation.  There is likely some degree of nasal obstruction on the patient’s left side.  This septal deviation  is hugely due to some sort of prior trauma and can be fixed through a small incision inside the nostrils.  A rhinoplasty does not necessarily have to be performed unless the patient wishes to do so. For many examples, please see the link below to our rhinoplasty Photo gallery

Correction of a Deviated Septum

+1

From your photos, it's evident that the very front of your septum, what we call the caudal septum, is deflected into your left airway. This can obstruct the external valve of the nose and cause difficulty breathing for some patients. In these cases, correction of this deviation (septoplasty) may be considered medically necessary and insurance coverage could be obtained. 

If you are breathing normally, correction of this issue would likely be considered cosmetic. Straightening this cartilage would involve shaving the septum a bit and using sutures to straighten the deflected portion. If this were the only issue to be addressed, the surgery would be quite short (30 minutes) and could be done quite comfortably under a combination of light sedation and local anesthesia. Or, should you so desire, general anesthesia could be used. Your procedure could be done through a closed (endonasal) approach. Hard to give you a precise figure without an examination but a ballpark cost for a straightforward case such as this would likely be in the $3K range.

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostrils and breathing C

+1

Clearly both of your nostrils are large enough for air to flow through them

the same must be true for the passage ways behind them

I see what you see 

the aperture of your left (to the right in the picture but your true left) nasal vestibule does appear smaller this makes the nostril look smaller 

the cause of this is likely caudal septal deviation

Why do you ask?

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD
San Angelo Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric facial features

+1

First and foremost, if you took a picture of anyone's face and cut it in half down the middle and compared the two sides no one is the same on both sides. No one. That said, it does appear the bottom part of the cartilage that is adjacent to your inner nostril is flared in to the nostril. I have the same thing. I have had it all my life. It's just a normal variant. To convince yourself that your nostrils are the same size, print that picture. Take a sharpie marker and color in each nostril at the skin edge. Your nostrils are the same. You are just special, like me. ;) 

Clayton L. Moliver, MD