Is my nose damaged or fractured ? (Photo)

Yesterday I got hit quite hard in the face on the bridge of my nose with an umbrella handle (solid) directly. It instantly swelled up and was really painful, my eyes watered. Today it is bruised (still swollen) but only where I got hit not under my eyes. When I press on either side of the bridge it hurts and when I press where I got hit. It didn't bleed at all. After a while today I've started to get headaches and slight migraines by my left eye and above. Is there any damage ??

Is my nose damaged or fractured ?

+2
For the next couple of days, you should ice your nose and sleep with your head elevated to reduce swelling. I would also recommend consulting with a facial trauma specialist. If you do have a fracture and your nose appears shifted to one side, this can be repaired non-surgically in the first 10-14 days following the injury. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose fractures

+2
Basically you ice the nose in the first 24-48 hours, and then let the initial swelling settle, which will take about 5 days.  If your nose is clearly crooked, you will need to have an attempted reduction within about ten days after the injury (or the bone heals in too much to allow it to be moved).  If it is not crooked, then let it fully heal, 6-12 months.  There is no use in XRays or CT scans, they will not change management.

Douglas J. Kibblewhite, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose fracture

+2
This kind of question needs to be answered by a surgeon who examines you in person, and perhaps with the help of some x-rays or CT scan.  Do not delay, because if it is broken, it will likely be easy to correct now, but wait and it will start to heal in a broken position - much harder to correct later.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Nasal trauma to the bridge from an accident

+1
Nasal trauma creates swelling over the skin of the nose, but more importantly as to whether or not the nasal bones or cartilage have been fractured. It's important to document for medical necessity  whether there is a fracture present with an x-ray or CAT scan, along with a physical exam and pictures. If the nose is fractured and displaced, resetting the nasal bone fracture in the next few weeks would be important rather than waiting for it to heal crooked. Also important to address any deviated septum that may have occurred from the fracture as well.

Nasal trauma

+1
It is best to be seen in person so that an evaluation of a possible fracture can be performed. Best to be seen ASAP.

Broken nose

+1
In my experience it is rare to break the nose and not have bleeding from the nostrils.  With that said the advice given is wise.  Let the swelling subside and have it evaluated by a plastic surgeon.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD
San Angelo Plastic Surgeon

Fractured nose or not?

+1
In general, no bleeding, no fracture. Ice it and it should be fine.   You can always have surgery later but should not need it.