Could my Nose Be Broken?

Yesterday my 6 year old threw his head back into my nose. I immediately heard a crack and it bled (not a lot, but a few tissues worth). My nose swelled , the whole surrounding area around my nose swelled and eyes blackened. My upper 2 front teeth hurt (but are not loose). My nose looks normal shape besides the swelling. Today my eyes are more blackened, nose still swollen and hurts to touch, area below nose hurts and gums above front teeth are sore. Breathing through nose seems normal.

Could My Nose be Broken?

+2

Yes, your nose may be broken but treatment will be necessary only if the appearance of your nose has changed or the breathing is compromised. Surgery is not a treatment for soreness or bruising. See a rhinoplasty surgeon for diagnosis.

Nose Broken?

+1

The history that you have given is consistent with a possible nasal fracture.  You should be evaluated by a surgeon and have some X-rays performed to see whether you need to have the fracture (if you have one) to be repositioned.

Michael Sundine, MD

Could my Nose Be Broken?

+1

If your nose looks straight other than the swelling then it is possible that you've only suffered a soft tissue injury. However, the only way to be sure would be to seek a consultation with an experienced expert in nasal trauma. If you do have a nasal fracture with deviation of your nose, if it important to seek a consult ASAP because, in most cases, these fractures can be "reduced" and the nose straightened without a highly invasive procedure. I hope this answer is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon 

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broken nose?

+1

Certainly it is possible that you broke your nose based upon your description of the accident and your overall appearance. Best to be seen in person.

Could your nose be broken?

+1

Perhaps. Only way to tell is an examination and x-ray to confirm. If you are concerned see your physician for evaluation.

Broken nose?

+1

A broken nose can only be diagnosed with an x-ray and examination by an ENT/ facial plastic surgeon. Best to seek out a consultation to document the nasal fracture in case you ever decide to have it repaired. Also important to make sure there is no  deviated septum or septal hematoma on the internal portion of the nose. For examples of nasal fracture repair, please see the link below.

Nasal Fracture

+1

I agree that you likely sustained a minor nasal fracture.  While there typically is not much that we do at this stage other than allow the bruising and swelling to settle down, I am happy to take a look at it for you should you desire.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is my nose broken?

+1

I am so glad you wrote in since cosmetic nasal surgery is my favorite operation. The nose is right in the middle of the face and a 1 millimeter change in any direction can make a difference. The nose should be natural, beautiful, and understated... Never looking like you were tampered with. In your case only an x-ray will confirm a true nasal fracture. If this is the case, and there is shape change, this can be repaired within the first 24 hours before swelling is very distorting or in 2 weeks when the swelling is down. My best advice would be do not touch if the nose looks normal and breathing is ok. All swelling and bruising will go away 

Barry Weintraub, MD

Nasal Fracture

+1

Nose can be rather easily broken in a number of different ways.  Often times patients are not even aware that their nose was broken.  In your particular case - nose bleed, black and blue, etc. most likely indicates that your nose is broken.  In my practice, if there is not an immediate obvious external distortion the nose, or clear evidence of an acute septal fracture, I do not rush into surgery.  Many patients can heal satisfactorily without surgery.  Those patients that go on to to heal with a nasal deformity - external and or internal - can undergo nasal surgery at a later date without compromising the final result.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon