My Eyes Are Extremly Asymmetrical. Is There Surgery for This? (photo)

I am seriously sick of people staring at me and I have also been super klutzy (I run into EVERYTHING). Is there a surgery to correct my eyes? Estimate on how much? Have you ever heard of insurance covering something like this?

Asymmetrical Eyes

+1

While the photo appears to show asymmetry, a proper consultation including physical examination is needed prior to developing a surgical recommendation.  The fees may differ widely depending on where you are in the country. Insurance is unlikely to cover the procedure.

Asymmetry is normal...

+1

And its abnormal to be perfectly symmetrical.  I'm sorry but I do not appreciate the extreme asymmetry you describe and would further explore why you feel people are staring at you.  Could it be the unusual hair style or something else that you've chosen to do for yourself?  Regardless, I am doubtful your eyes are reason you have have that perception and if surgery was to be done, you should be absolutely certain you and your surgeon have communicated the anticipated outcome thoroughly so you really understand what you pursuing.

Curtis Wong, MD

+1

Dear Nubbins143,

There are procedures that can be done to make you look more symmetrical.   As others have described, there is probably underlying asymmetry in the bone which will prevent complete symmetry (which almost nobody really has anyway).  However, if you consult with a surgeon, they can go through with you the procedures that can make you relatively more symmetrical and you can decide whether you want to undergo these procedures.  A face to face consult is needed for this type of question.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper blepharoplasty

+1

Thank  you for submitting your photo and questions. You definitely have asymmetry with a smaller distance between open eyelid edges on the right and an epicanthal fold of skin near the inner corner of the eye on the right. The eyelid raising muscle on the right may be inserting differently into the eyelid thereby creating this fold. The only thing one can say from your photo is greater symmetry can be achieved through surgery but it is unclear from the single photo what that surgery should be.
I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Eyelid asymmetry and surgery

+1

it is difficult from this photo to view your concerns:

1. there may be ptosis or drooping
  2. the position of your eye bone or nose may be off
  3. an oculoplastic surgeon is an excellent choice

Eyelids

+1

The picture may have been taken with a slight slant. I do not think you can make a diagnosis like the others surgeons have without an xray and specific measurements. I do believe your right eyelid is lower ( a condition called ptosis) and may benefit from correction which is often covered by insurance. You upper eyelid fold is also different from the left. You may have other forms of uneveness like the others suggested, but you can not tell that from just a photo.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Eyelid/facial asymmetry

+1

You have bony facial asymmetry, with right eye socket (orbit) smaller than the left, which causes relatively smaller eye appearance on the right.  There are nonsurgical and surgical options that can camouflage or improve the asymmetry.  Insurance won't cover it.  Consult an oculoplastic or facial plastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Reconstruction of Orbital Dystopia

+1

What you have is a mild form of orbital dystopia. Your entire orbitomaxillary bones, including the eye, on that side has developed lower than the other side. This can be seen from a lower eyebrow down to a flatter and more recessed cheekbone on that side. The eyeball is down anywhere from 5 to 7mms based on the horizontal position of the pupils. While perfect symmetry can not be obtained, some significant improvement is very possible. This is done through a combined procedure of a browlift, upper blepharoplasty, orbital floor and infraorbital rim augmentation and a small cheek implant on that side. These procedures collectively  will help move up all the affected structures on that side. These type of camouflage procedures are used in mild cases of orbital dystopia in which major craniofacial surgery (orbital bone repositioning) is too much surgery for the magnitude of the problem. (which it would be in your case) Whether insurance will cover any of these procedures is done through a predetermination process.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD