After Upper Eyelid Surgery, How Long Before I Can Get Back in a Public Swimming Pool?

I do water Aerobics regularly and will have my surgery in a few days.

+2

You should follow the specific recommendations and instructions of the plastic and cosmetic surgeon or occuloplastic surgeon that did your eyelid surgery.  I advise my eyelid surgery patients to avoid pools, saunas and jacuzzis for 1 month after eyelid surgery.

Upper eyelid surgery

+2

Usually sutures are removed within 3-5 days after upper eyelid surgery and I tell my patients to wait another week or two to swim.  Showering is fine. I would also be careful with swimming goggles.

Swimming after eyelid surgery

+2

I tell my patients two weeks as well.  For one, I worry about risk of infection, and for two, I also don't allow my patients to exercise for about 2 weeks to avoid tension on the wound and prominent scarring or incision lines.

Jasmine Mohadjer, MD
Clearwater Oculoplastic Surgeon

We are all going to have our own opinions about this but they don't matter.

+2

Granny K

What matters is the opinion of the surgeon who is taking care of you.  That is because if you get yourself into trouble after surgery, it won't be one of us taking care of you.  It  will be your surgeon.  Please call your surgeons office and ask them this question.  You will not be bothering them.  Personally, I would recommend 2 weeks before getting into a pool- the upper eyelid skin needs to be fully intact.

Swimming after eyelid surgery

+2
Because of the chemicals used in swimming pools, I would be conservative and advise you not to swim for two weeks after surgery. Also, in a public pool, there is always a concern about sanitation. Ask your plastic surgeon when you can use goggles and about his protocol for returning to swimming.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Return to swimming after upper eyelid surgery

+2

In most cases, once the sutures are removed and everything is healing well, you should be able to be in a pool. This would be about 6 to 10 days after the procedure. You may need to use caution with swimming goggles or in a pool with chemicals that can irritate your eyes. However, check with your surgeon before going to the pool.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS