Will my Breast Ever Get Soft After a Breast Augmentation? If Yes, How Long Will It Take?

400CC / Silicone / Under Muscle / Surgery Date was 02/09/2012 I had a great surgery, almost no pain at all and my breast looks great but im always worry that i will never have my breast soft again. I have seen some of my friends with the same procedure but with smaller CC's and they are really soft. My breast is softer than a few days after the surgery but not soft like a natural breast. Is it the size? Will my breast ever get soft after a BA? If yes, How long will it take?

Wait 3-4 months before assessing results

When implants are first inserted, they sit high up because your tissues are tight and gravity hasn't taken effect. Over time, natural tissue expansion occurs to allow the implants to fall into place. By this time, your breasts will have taken on a more natural contour, where the lower breasts become softer and rounder. Please wait at least four months for this to happen.This process tends to occur sooner in one breast than the other, so don't be alarmed if you find that your left drops before the right or vice versa.

Your breasts will soften; 400cc is not the "problem."

400cc implants are not "harder" than smaller-size breast implants. Firmness in the first few weeks after augmentation surgery is related to swelling, as well as the youthfulness and elasticity of the "container" (your breasts and pectoralis muscles) your implants are within. Every woman is different!

For example, imagine a woman who is in her 40's, has had several children, breast-fed them all, and has lost weight recently. She will have loose breast skin (may even need a lift in some situations) and less muscle tone than a young athletic woman who has never had children and never been an ounce overweight. You could easily anticipate who might have a more firm result after augmentation, especially if each has the exact same implant size.

Your friends may have had smaller implants because they wanted less enlargement, or because they started with more of their own breast tissue and needed smaller implants to get to the final size they wished. Or, all things being equal, they simply wanted to be smaller than your goal size.

Your breasts WILL soften. How much and how long it takes is as individual as each and every patient. You should notice significant decrease in firmness over the next few weeks, but it will take 6 months or longer to reach your "final" result, including your scar softening and fading. Be patient; those friends with the softer breasts now may have more sagging sooner than you! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Time for augmented breast to soften up

Patience is very important. you are 3 weeks postop and already worrying about whether your breast will EVER soften up. Healing, as you have undoubtedly read on this site, is a process which takes months, and potentially up to a year. Enjoy the appearance of your new breasts, relax and try not to be obsessive or compare yourself to others.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast Augmentation Recovery Takes Time

It can be difficult to be patient after breast augmentation, especially if it's something you've wanted for yourself for a long time. Many patients want to see results right away, but the truth is, it takes a while for your recovery to run its course. As you are only 3 weeks past your operation, your breasts will continue to change as you continue to heal. Usually this takes at least 3 months, and for some women, it can take even longer. As your swelling goes down and your tissues adjust to the implants, you will likely find that your breasts become softer and softer. If you still have concerns, check in with your doctor who can evaluate you in person if needed.

How long does it take for breasts to feel soft after breast augmentation

I advise my patients that it take 3 months from surgery for most swelling to get better, and 6 months for the implants to feel softer for smooth implants, and up to 12 months for textured implants.  Every patients breasts will have a different level of softness, depending in part on the thickness and elastic of skin, the amount and type of breast tissue, and type and size of breast implant.
Hope this helps!

Softer breast implants

I don't know if you are referring to an actual softer feel or breast implants with a softer looking appearance.  Breast implants can look and feel natural. If breast implants are too large for a woman's frame they will almost certainly feel and look unnaturally firm. Even if the ideal size is used, but a woman has limited breast tissue, implants will be more palpable. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Takes time for the breasts to soften up after a breast augmentation

You are very early in the recovery process following your breast augmentation and your shape will change over time. It is important to understand that a breast augmentation will only give you a larger version of yourself.  Your breasts will progressively soften over the first 3 months.  Everyone is different and will experience a different recovery process. 

Breasts Softening after Breast Augmentation?

Yes, most likely your breasts will soften up over the course the next few months. It is not helpful to compare yourself to any other person given the variables/differences that exist between each individual. These variables may include  the type of breast implant used, the amount of native breast tissue present before surgery, the time since surgery, and the quality of work done.

Again, patience/time is important;  in the meantime,  continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes

When do breasts get soft

Thank you for your question. Congrats on the surgery. It may take months for the breasts to soften, and they may never soften to the pre-surgical state. In addition, the greater the implant to breast tissue ratio, the more the implant will affect the longterm firmness (or softness) of the breast. I would exercise patience and see how things change with every few weeks that pass by.

How Long After a Breast Augmentation Will My Breasts Get Soft

Patience is a virtue!  Each patient heals differently with different results.  Generally it takes at least 3-4 months or longer when the breast lower and become softer. Good Luck