Will my Breast Ever Get Soft After a Breast Augmentation? If Yes, How Long Will It Take?

400CC / Silicone / Under Muscle / Surgery Date was 02/09/2012 I had a great surgery, almost no pain at all and my breast looks great but im always worry that i will never have my breast soft again. I have seen some of my friends with the same procedure but with smaller CC's and they are really soft. My breast is softer than a few days after the surgery but not soft like a natural breast. Is it the size? Will my breast ever get soft after a BA? If yes, How long will it take?

Your breasts will soften; 400cc is not the "problem."

+3

400cc implants are not "harder" than smaller-size breast implants. Firmness in the first few weeks after augmentation surgery is related to swelling, as well as the youthfulness and elasticity of the "container" (your breasts and pectoralis muscles) your implants are within. Every woman is different!

For example, imagine a woman who is in her 40's, has had several children, breast-fed them all, and has lost weight recently. She will have loose breast skin (may even need a lift in some situations) and less muscle tone than a young athletic woman who has never had children and never been an ounce overweight. You could easily anticipate who might have a more firm result after augmentation, especially if each has the exact same implant size.

Your friends may have had smaller implants because they wanted less enlargement, or because they started with more of their own breast tissue and needed smaller implants to get to the final size they wished. Or, all things being equal, they simply wanted to be smaller than your goal size.

Your breasts WILL soften. How much and how long it takes is as individual as each and every patient. You should notice significant decrease in firmness over the next few weeks, but it will take 6 months or longer to reach your "final" result, including your scar softening and fading. Be patient; those friends with the softer breasts now may have more sagging sooner than you! Best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Time for augmented breast to soften up

+3
Patience is very important. you are 3 weeks postop and already worrying about whether your breast will EVER soften up. Healing, as you have undoubtedly read on this site, is a process which takes months, and potentially up to a year. Enjoy the appearance of your new breasts, relax and try not to be obsessive or compare yourself to others.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breasts Softening after Breast Augmentation?

+2

Yes, most likely your breasts will soften up over the course the next few months. It is not helpful to compare yourself to any other person given the variables/differences that exist between each individual. These variables may include  the type of breast implant used, the amount of native breast tissue present before surgery, the time since surgery, and the quality of work done.

Again, patience/time is important;  in the meantime,  continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes

Breasts soften as Swelling goes down.

+1
Dear Lynla, Thank you for your post. It is very common to be about a size bigger right after surgery than what your final result will be. Swelling starts to occur right after surgery and tends to peak in the first week. After about a month you will have lost most of the swelling, but still not completely at baseline. After about another 3 months or so, you will have lost 99% of your swelling, but still you have a pretty good idea at 1 month. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on bras until 3 months as they might not fit perfectly after all the swelling goes away. Also, the more activity you have, the longer the swelling stays, the more that needs to be done as far as lift etc. with surgery, the longer your swelling stays. Breast tenderness and hardness can also remain due to the swelling. the breasts should become much softer once the swelling is mostly gone. Best Wishes! Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Takes time for the breasts to soften up after a breast augmentation

+1
You are very early in the recovery process following your breast augmentation and your shape will change over time. It is important to understand that a breast augmentation will only give you a larger version of yourself.  Your breasts will progressively soften over the first 3 months.  Everyone is different and will experience a different recovery process. 

Breast softness

+1
Relax. Most of the swelling will be gone at 4- 6 weeks, but it is normal for it to take several months for all of the swelling to be gone and you to have a final result. Your implants are likely to soften up over the first several months. Enjoy your new look - the rest will follow. If at six months you are still unhappy with the feel of your new breasts, discuss options with your surgeon. Best wishes.

Grant Stevens, MD

Swelling and Tightness Usually Resolve in 4-6 Weeks Following Breast Augmentation Surgery

+1

Patients undergoing breast augmentation can anticipate significant tightness and swelling in the immediate post-operative period.  This swelling resolves quickly with the vast majority being gone in 4 to 6 weeks, but small amounts of residual swelling may be present for up to 3 to 4 months following surgery.  In most cases as swelling resolves the sensation of tightness improves as well.  Compression bras and dressings are frequently used following breast augmentation to minimize swelling.  Swelling can add to a patients’ post-operative discomfort.  It can also increase anxiety regarding breast size immediately after surgery.

For these reasons, we feel it’s important for the patient and the surgeon to have good communication regarding this topic immediately following surgery.  In this situation, a little reassurance can go a long way towards making this a comfortable experience.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Softness After Augmentation

+1

This is dependent on your breast skin envelope, size of the implant pocket, and the size of the implant. In general, implants can resume most of their shape and softness within weeks. If you have asymmetry you may have an early contracture, but the key is early breast massage to maintain the open pocket. If you have additional questions, you should contact your Plastic Surgeon.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Softening breasts

+1

You are only one month after surgery.  In the surgery world, we would consider that still early.  As long as everything looks normal they will continue to soften for another 5 months.  Everyone has different healing times depending on different variables.  You should continue to "massage" your breasts also as it will help with the breasts softening and staying that way.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

It takes time for implants to soften.

+1

At 1 month post surgery, you are in the early phases of recovery. 400cc implants are large implants and it can take the breasts several months to "soften." Time and patience are required! Strict adherence to your surgeon's postoperative instructions regarding bra support, massage, and activity is important. After the swelling has resolved and the breast tissue has time to "adjust" to the stretching of the implant, the breast will feel softer.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon