Can I Get my Apron Fat Removed Now Even if I'm Still Losing a Bit More Weight?

I've lost 85 lbs. so far, and am looking to lose another 50 lbs. but I want to know if I could have my "apron" fat removed now, as it hangs pretty low and prevents me from wearing smaller pants. I'd also like to know the cost of this procedure. Thank you!

Panniculectomy vs. abdominoplasty

+1

It is generally not a good idea to have body contouring surgery while you are losing weight. Best to wait until you have plateaued in your weight loss. Dramatic weight loss after surgery can damage the surgical results. If you are morbidly obese a tummy tuck will have increased risk of complications and can be dangerous. We would need to know your height & weight to know if your are overweight, morbidly obese etc. If you just want the skin and fat below the belly button removed (a panniculectomy) that can be done despite being morbidly obese but it is not a cosmetic procedure. It is better reserved for cases where there is skin breakdown and chronic rashes or infections under the hanging apron of skin and fat.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Prudence of a panniculectomy

+1

If you feel that the excess, hanging skin is markedly affecting your quality of life and daily activities and you can't/don't want to wait until you lose all the weight, then consideration can be given for its removal. This is called a panniculectomy. It will, however, add an extra procedure to your overall rejuvenation in addition to the extra costs and down time.

If you could wait the extra time to lose the additional weight, then you could avoid this procedure and undergo the  tightening and contouring all at once through a tummy tuck or some form of lower body lift. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Weight loss

+1

When to have surgery?  I think it is best to wait until you have completed losing weight and your weight is stable.

Timing panniculectomy to weight loss

+1

Removal of the apron fat is called panniculectomy. Taking that one step further is abdominoplasty, which includes abdominal muscle and skin tightening, and gives a more cosmetic result. If your skin is impairing your functioning and causing disabling rashes, then you can consider getting the skin removed more urgently. Documentation from primary care doctor, weight loss doctor, and/or dermatologist will help in getting insurance to pay for this. It is more optimal to wait until your reach your full weight loss goal to allow for one abdominal contouring procedure. The other benefit of waiting is that you will be more stable from a nutritional perspective and have a better chance at uncomplicated healing.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Tummy Tuck after weight lose

+1

Unless the extra skin is hindering you from exercise and losing more weight then wait until you have reached a stable weight and then have the surgery done!! The results will be better then !

Good luck!

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck During Weight Loss

+1

Sure you can get the apron off any time. But you will get much better overall results if you wait until you reach your goal weight. Almost all of my patients that have lost a large amount of weight still want to lose more and that may or may not be realistic. The best way to know if you are ready for the surgery now is to have an evaluation by a Plasti Surgeon who is experienced in that type of tummy tuck.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD