How Long Do Muscle Spasms After a Breast Augmentation Last?

I have gone from a small B cup to having 500 cc implants. I am having to take Valium just to perform the exercises to form the pockets.

Muscle Spasm After Breast Augmentation

Thanks for the fantastic question -

Muscle spasm after sub-pectoral breast augmentation can be caused by the stretch of the pect. muscle when the implant is placed beneath it. However blood and manipulation can also cause muscle spasm. The larger the implant the more likely the spasm.

Typically the spasm resolves after about 1 - 2 weeks as the muscle irritation decreases.

In our San Francisco area practice we have worked extensively on a regimen that reduces spasm which includes medications for the first few days as well as specific exercises for patients more prone to spasm.

This is very variable

Muscle spasms are usualy gone after 3-4 weeks at most, but may take longer with a large implant like you have.  Also, the more anxious the patient's personality, the more spasms they have because their body is usually in a much higher state of tension than a relaxed person.

Spasms are normal after sub muscular augmentation

The muscle spasms usually break in the first two weeks or so.  After that, it is typical for the spasms to be intermittent for a month.

Muscle spasm after surgery

Most muscle spasms resolve in one to two weeks, but with large implants like yours they can last 4-6 weeks. If manipulation of the implants is causing the spasm talk to your surgeon about holding off on the exercises until your muscles have stretched and relaxed a bit more. Best of luck.

Grant Stevens, MD

Muscle Spasms Resolve In 3-4 Weeks Following Surgery

It’s not unusual for patients to have muscle spasm following breast augmentation, especially when large implants are placed beneath the pectoralis muscles. In most cases, spasm has resolved in three to four weeks following surgery. In the short term muscle relaxants, stretching and massage can provide relief and shorten the duration of muscle spasm.

Muscle spasms

Those are some big implants. You could expect some muscle spasms. They will get better in time. Probably several months. Best of luck.

Breast Augmentation Spasms

It is possible to have symptoms up to a month or longer (depending on size of the implant) after breast augmentation.  The skin tissue needs to stretch and the implants need to drop.   Larger implants will increase likelihood of spasms. This is why you are experiencing discomfort.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Several weeks is not uncommon

Spasm of the pectoralis muscles after breast augmentation is not only common but the rule. The muscles are used to being against the chest wall. When the implants are placed under the muscle they are put on a constant stretch that is unnatural for them. Thus the muscles will contract in an attempt to regain their natural muscle fiber tension.

You underwent quite a large augmentation so the muscles are unhappy. Most of my patients are off Valium by post op day 4 or 5. The pain you are feeling working out is different than the muscle spasm. The muscle takes 6-8 weeks to fully recover from being divided along its lower boarder.

To make a long story longer it will be at least 8 weeks before the pain is essentially gone.

Muscle spasms: discuss exercises with your surgeon

This is quite normal and it generally appears that this tends to persist for about 3 weeks after surgery. Patients often not that it is worse at night occurring between 3-6AM.

I have recommended Valium for this but occasionally a stronger muscle relaxant such as flexeril is benieficial.

I have found that upper extremity range of motion exercises performed every hour are quite benefical in decreasing these spasms. Perform these only after discussing it with your surgeon.

Muscle spasms common

Muscle spams are common after augmentation. However, the larger the implant, the more that would be expected and likely will last longer. If the exercises you are instructed to do are causing inappropriate discomfort, then talk to your surgeon about holding off until you have recovered more. Your pocket is created at the time of surgery and not by the massaging afterwards. See your surgeon and review your concerns.