Odd-shaped Breasts After Augmentation

I just had breast implants 6 weeks ago and I'm starting to feel a little discouraged. Since augmentation my breasts have an odd shape. They're kind of like egg-shaped and a little bit flat-looking. My nipples are still not centered, and they are low. My plastic surgeon said that as soon as my implants drop, the nipples should center. I haven't noticed a change with the positioning of my nipples, not even slightly. I am not happy with the way they look. Is this normal for 6 weeks, and am I still in the early stages?

Breast implants can drop over time

+2

I would respectfully disagree with my colleague below. There is always room for professional differences of opinion and experience. Your surgeon may use a technique that differs from others in which he/she does observe dropping over time.

There are several factors that play into the final appearance. In a breast that has been previously big and subsequently decreased in volume (after nursing or weight loss), I would agree that the capsule may have developed at 6 weeks and continue to hold the implant up. In other words, the skin or the breast is not the limiting factor. In this case additional surgery to lower the implant or lift the nipple may be required but I would defer this for 6-9 months after surgery.

However, in a previously small breasted individual, the skin may be the limiting factor (not the capsule) and a larger implant may force the skin to stretch/expand and loosen over time. This can take 6-9 months and I have observed implants drop over this time period. There are patients of mine that if I had operated at 3 months, it would been too early and unnecessary.

Placing the implants under the muscle can also hold them up. Use of implant displacement exercises and upper pole compressive bands can help to bring implants down over time.

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and keep us posted.

Unhappy with breast shape after breast augmentation

+1

Depending on what you started with it may take longer for your breast augmentation to mature.  I would encourage you to take photos or have your plastic surgeon take photos as time passes and you can look at them together to judge if things continue to change or if the process has stopped.  At that time you can discuss possible revision surgery with your plastic surgeon if that is what is needed.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast shape after implants

+1

At 6 weeks it is a bit early to see the "final result" of your implant surgery. Keep a close eye on them and follow-up regularly with your surgeon.

Odd-shaped breasts 6 weeks after augmentation

+1

At six weeks most women are seeing an early look at their new look. I would get back to your surgeon to see if you can review your before and after images to try to figure out what is going on. You might have capsular contracture or sometihing else that you may want addressed. This might also be a result of what your breasts were like before surgery. Not all women look the same after the placement of breast implants.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

You should see improvement with time

+1

If you post pictures, we may be able to give you more specific advice. However, you are fairly early after surgery. Hopefully, your surgeon gave you exercise to do and/or a bra strap to help with the implants, since it sounds like they are high. You will see a differences as the swelling resolves, the tissue settle and the implants drop. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Don't give up hope

+1

Several key points of information were left out, but still I can give you some useful info.

Under the muscle and saline inplants tend to take longer to drop than over the muscle silicone. In my experience, under the muscle, inplants start to drop on average 3 to 4 weeks after surgery. They continue to improve for about a year or so.

Yours should have dropped more by now. I am encouraged that they are symmetrical. I would talk to your doctor about wearing a band or massage techniques. It is not too late to get a great result. I have had a number of patients like you who are slow to get out of the starting gate, but finished the race in great shape!

In reading other opinions, I respectfully disagree that the capsule is fully formed at 6 weeks. I would wait 9 months to a year to re-operate. Remember, more surgery incurs more risk and could make things worse, and why risk it if it is not needed.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

It is still early, but how was your "shape" preop?

+1

Breast augementation maginfies the breasts. The original shape is still visible in the result and those with the best shape preop are the ones with the home run results. Maybe your shape wasn't great to start with and you are noticing it more now that you are larger. Maybe not. But give it 3-4 months and seee how things look then.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Unhappy

+1

If it were within the immediate postoperative time point, then I believe your surgeon would still have a good point, but unfortunately by 6 weeks the internal capsule, which forms around your implants to keep them where they are, has fully formed. I believe that the chances of your implants "dropping" at this point and your overall breast appearance changing significantly is pretty low. I find that in my practice that by 6 weeks, what you have is what you have. I wonder what kind of implants you have that thye are "egg shaped". Sometimes, the use of high profile implants may create this appearance. Also - your nipples may have been off center prior to surgery, but if that was the case, then this shoul dhave been discussed with you before hand. Although you ARE still in the early stages of healing on a large scale, I believe it is unlikey that your shape will change significantly - maybe a little bit, but not significantly.

If you were to need a revision, it is way too early to perform this - you should wait at at least 3 months, but you can certainly hve the discussion with your surgeon about this as a possibility and see what he or she says. You should be happy with the appearance of your breasts after this surgery and I would hope that your surgeon would entertain a discussion with you about what he or she could do to help you achieve the results you desire.

Brian S. Glatt, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon