Are Strange Skin 'Bulges' Along Incision Line After Upper Eyelid Surgery Normal?

I had upper eyelid surgery 9 days ago. My stitches were removed on day 5 and although my right eye looks fine my left one has strange bulges around the incision line. It doesn't itch and I'm not in pain. Is this normal during healing or should I be concerned?

Bulges along suture line after Upper Blepharoplasty can occur but are usually temporary

+4

The eyelids heal very fast and sometimes the skin cells can grow into the suture "hole" or the suture can cause irritation of the skin causing redness and lumps.

This almost always goes away. However I find ,massage -gentle-can speed the recovery. Ask your surgeon if massage is OK.

Too early to tell

+4

Your results look a little rolled at the stitch line but you are very early and the roll could just be the suture technique. Wait for another few weeks and then see your surgeon if the situation persists. Chances are you will be just fine

Harlow Hollis, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon

+4

The picture shows a normal 9 days post operative  eyelids. With time the wound will change and heal smoothly.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bumps and Puckers on Eyelid Incision after Blepharoplasty

+3

Dear Nova29 in Manhattan Beach, CA:

Small bumps, ridges and puckers are common after eyelid surgery. The skin is the thinest on the body and small amounts of swelling, bruising or irregularities in the closure are easily noticed for the first few weeks to months. Since you are only 9 days out from your blepharoplasty, it is likely that this will smooth out as the incision heals.

If you haven't already, bring it up to your surgeon, and let them check it. Sometimes additional maneuvers can be performed to help speed your healing. Most likely it will resolve with time, but if it doesn't, you will have informed your surgeon and they will be aware and prepared if somethings needs to be done.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid incision pucker

+3

The skin on the upper lid is very thin and will pucker or bulge with the sutures. After some time, the incision lines will smooth in and are rarely a problem. Don't look too closely after just nine days as what you have is normal healing.

peterejohnsonmd

Quite honestly, that all looks very good.

+3

Nova

What is strange is that you have not had the experience of being 9 days out from eyelid surgery before so it is hard for you to know what to expect.  The wound shown in the photos actually looks very good for this time frame.  Certainly the wound is not yet healed and there is selling and inflammation present-all normal.  I do not see anything that suggests that you need "injections" to help wound healing.  What you need here is "tincture of time."

Wavy skin along incisions after upper eyelid surgery

+3

Yes, these wavy lines along the upper eyelid incisions are quite normal and are from swelling along the incision.  This should slowly resolve over the following several weeks, IMHO but as always you should ask the plastic and cosmnetic surgeon that performed your Blepharoplasty.  I tell all of my Eyelid Surgery patients that it takes a full 3 months for all the swelling and irregularities to completely resoilve.

Post blepheroplasty bumps

+2

Healing can be quite differen side to side. You need to allow more time and consult your surgeon. I think you will be fine.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Give time to heal after surgery

+2

There is a period of swelling and inflammation during the healing phase after surgery, and often there are differences between the left and right sides in the early post-op period.  Don't worry too much about this now, and if you are very concerned, follow up with your surgeon to be sure everything is as he or she expects.  Hope this helps.

Jason Lichtenberger, MD
Bellingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Incision after blepahroplasty

+2

Hi

You are very early after surgery.  I know the two eyes appear different - but that can happen.  This is most likely related to differential healing and inflammation associated with the closure/sutures.  Give this time. Your surgeon may want to inject the area with medications to help wound healing in the near future.  Please discuss this with him.  Best of luck 

Guy Massry, MD