Why is my septum thin and flimsy, skin loosening shapeless, whistling when I breath? (Photo)

A year ago I got mugged resulting in a broken nose. I couldnt breathe out of one side because there was no bone structure to keep the loose flesh from sucking back into the nasal cavity The septum is thin and flimsy, my nose skin is loose with no shape to it, theres a whistling when I breathe that shifts for one nostril to the other(I think because the septum is flimsy)and one of the nostrils has a dark spot on it, it feels like the cartilage has broken down it isn't as taught as the other side

Nasal whistling

+1
Nasal whistling could indicate a septal perforation which could have resulted from your injury.  You need to see an ENT to have an internal nasal exam done.

Breathing problems and septum?

+1
I would need to examine your nose to be able to tell you what is going on with your nose.       

May need to have it looked at

+1
Hi there, 

I'd recommend getting it looked at asap. You may have developed a septal perforation, a hole in the septum. This can cause whistling, breathing problems, loss of support/shape to your nose, etc. 

You should ask your doctor to take a look and get a referal if you do indeed have one. 

JB

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septum

+1
Obviously a full examinattion is needed but if your airway is narrowed due to the injury and the septum deviated, this alone could explain your problems.  You need to have a full nasoseptal examination but a board certified surgeon.

Dr. Corbin 

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon