2 Months After Neck Lift - Swelling and Beard Loss

I'm a 31 yo male, and I had a neck lift (platysmaplasty + lipo) 2 months ago. However, about 80% of the affected area is still numb and the right side under my chin is clearly bulkier than left side. I also lost my beard in several areas under my chin and those bare spots are very noticeable. Question #1 Will my beard grow back under my chin? Question # 2 - Can I expect any further improvement on the right side of my chin or am I passed the swelling phase? Thanks in advance!

2 Months After NeckLift

+2

Generally speaking, 2 months after a Necklift, some degree of persistent swelling is likely to be present.  Regarding loss of portions of your beard, I would expect this to return to normal over the next 2-3 months.  However, if excessive cautery was utilized on the skin flap, the hair might not return completely.  Loss of sensation can take several more months to return. Regarding side to side asymmetry, it is not entirely unusual to have more swelling on one side than the other.  However, I would definitely consult with your Surgeon regarding this and your other concerns.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Beard loss and residual swelling afetr Neck lipo and lift

+1

No, at 2 months you still have a month or so for the final result to show however, these irregularities and lumps may still remain at that time.  The beard loss is most likely due to follicular damage from the liposuction and may or may not return....only time (about a year) will tell.

Neck lift Video: Neck Lift and the loss of hair and asymmetrical results

+1

You are still likely to have some swelling at 2 months that could improve. Pressure in the more swollen areas can help to decrease this. Many times, this swelling is present early on and can be treated before it solidifies and becomes scar tissue. The beard hair can possibly come back. Sometimes your hair gets shocked and it can take more than 6 months to come back because it goes through a cycle of growth. So be patient.

Thanks for reading, Dr Young

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

You still have not healed completely which takes approximately 9-12 months. The loss of beard should temporary and numbness and swelling should resolve with time.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

You can expect steady improvement

+1
All your concerns are typical and will greatly improve with time. Often little happens r.e. hairloss and numbness until five or six months after surgery. All lifts create injury to the underlying nerves and hair. Typically this puts the nerves and hair into a rest time before they start to recover as they usually do. Be patient and you can expect a lot of improvement Dr. Mayl Fort lauderdale

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon