2 Months Post Neck Lift: Experiencing Hair Loss and Uneven Results

I'm a 31 yo male, and I had a neck lift (platysmaplasty + lipo) 2 months ago. However, about 85% of the affected area is still numb and the right side under my chin is clearly bulkier than left side. I also lost my beard in several areas under my chin and those bare spots are very noticeable.

Question #1 Will my beard grow back under my chin? Question # 2 - Can I expect any further improvement on the right side of my chin? Thank you in advance!

Uneven results after neck lift

+3

I think it is still premature to be concerned.  In most cases, full sensation will return 6-12 months after surgery.  I think that there is an excellent chance that your beard will return too.  Finally, I think that the asymmetry caused by the bulky appearance of the right side may also improve without additional treatment.  My best advice--give yourself more time.

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Neck Lift with swelling

+2

The swelling may still resolve in the next month or so....the beard however may not come back.  Do you know if a Laser was used on the inside of the skin?  The heat from the Laser can damage the beard follicles.

Hair loss and uneven results after neck lift

+2

Hair loss after liposuction is uncommon, but could be a complication of the addition of a laser to the procedure. Excessive heat can cause a loss of some of the hair follicles. The hair could begin to regrow as late as 6-12 months after the procedure. The right side of the neck that feels bulkier could improve over time. It is possible that a collection of blood under the skin, or a hematoma could have caused this result. The best bet is to take your concerns to your plastic surgeon and discuss how your results could be improved. He is likely to advise you to wait at least 6 months before considering any additional procedures to that area.

Temp Patterson, MD
Burley Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after Necklift

+1
The numbness you are describing after your necklift procedure is to be expected. Generally speaking, it can take 6-12 months to be completely healed after a surgical procedure. Please keep in touch with your surgeon or his/her clinical team regarding your concerns.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift complications

+1
Hair loss is uncommon; however, you haven't said which type of liposuction you underwent or whether a laser was involved. The hair follicles may be shocked by the procedure and may take more time to regrow. As for the numbness, this could still resolve. You should continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Beard will likely grow back, usually takes 6 months to heal

+1

Most likely the beard will grow back after neck lift as the hair follicles probably got "stunned" and will need to awaken.  I would be patient as the healing process after submental liposuction and plastysmaplasty often takes about 6 months. Continue to see your plastic surgeon to make sure he or she is happy with the progress.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Liposuction and neck lift and beard loss

+1

two months is early to judge your results.  Hair follicles can go into shock and take 3 or more months to recover (in fact, the hair loss, is often not noticed for at least three months). See your surgeon, and give it time.

Ronald Shelton, MD