How Much Money is a Tummy Tuck when Done by a Resident Student?

Tummy Tuck By Resident Student

Although I understand that plastic surgeons, including myself, need to train somewhere, I would suggest that you do not make yourself a “subject” for tummy tuck surgery. Ultimately, you should keep the final goal in mind; achieving the results you wish with breast surgery as safely and complication free as possible.
I would suggest, instead that you slowly save up for this elective procedure. When the time is right from the physical, emotional, psychosocial, and financial standpoints, find the best plastic surgeon you can to perform the procedure for you.
When it comes to choosing a plastic surgeon I generally advise that patients start with the American Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Make your decisions carefully when it comes to selection of your plastic surgeon; although no surgeon is perfect and every plastic surgeon has complications that require revisionary surgery, revisionary surgery rates may vary from one surgeon to another. Also, remember that if revisionary surgery does become necessary, it may be more expensive in many ways. Therefore, do not to make your decisions based on financial considerations primarily.

Resident pricing for plastic surgery.

Most plastic surgery residencies offer cosmetic surgery discounts if you allow the residents to perform the surgery.  The price will depend on the geographic location and the market.

Make sure of several things:

Who will be performing the surgery and who will be supervising the surgery.

What happens if you have complications.

Who will see you after the resident graduates and moves away from the program.

Are all of the costs included.

Is this a technique that they have assisted and observed several times, or is this a technique they have only heard about in a lecture or read about in an article.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Cost of a tummy tuck when done by a plastic surgery resident

The cost of a tummy tuck that is performed by a plastic surgery resident would depend on the plastic surgery program and the associated hospital that it is performed at. There are several training hospitals in the Chicago area. You should call the plastic surgery departments and inquire as to the charges that you would be facing. Realize, that for such a discount, there are trade-offs.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

It will depend on the program

I teach plastic surgery resident and they do their surgeries under board certified plastic surgeons supervision . The charge at Louisiana State University at New Orleans including all the fees is around $5000.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck by a doctor in training

Tummy tuck by a doctor in training can make the procedure affordable to those who find it out of reach. The Chicago area has at least three university programs that might be available to you, though you should also consider total cost as to what the hospital will charge, and the anesthesia staff as well so you stay on budget. It is also fair to ask the resident how many similar procedures he has done, and how well will he be supervised. Also, realize the resident is 'your' doctor for better or worse, so be sure you have a rapport and comfort with him as you would any doctor you trust with your care.