Is This My Final Tummy Tuck Result at 11 weeks?

I had a full TT and MR and new belly button on 3/3/11. I am 11 post op and feel rounded standing up and flabby sitting down. My PS said it could be swelling and reasses at 6 months and he will do a revision if im not happy. I wake up sort of flat (flat upper, rounded lower ab)and swollen by days end. At 11 weeks is this my final results? I expected more from a full lipoabdominoplasty with musclr repair. I know that I should be a little lose to be able to stand but i just feel like not enough was taken off. Thanks.

Swelling after lipoabdominoplasty

+8

Before commenting, I think it would be helpful if you clarified: from the first photo, it looks like you had a full abdominoplasty with a typical, hip-to-hip incision as well as an incision around the belly-button. Can you confirm that? One of the commenters above does not appear to have either read your description or looked at your intra-op photo, suggesting that you had an "easier operation." If you had a full abdominoplasty with muscle plication and concomitant liposuction, that is the "full operation." It is possible your plastic surgeon is somewhat conservative with skin removal to avoid wide scars or healing complications, in which case you might be left, after swelling subsides, with a little excess skin remaining. If this is problematic, it can be dealt with in a revision procedure, and it sounds like your surgeon has offered to consider that.

You can always get a second opinion in the office of another board-certified plastic surgeon - there are many of us here in Florida - and have some options to choose from. It is usually preferable to follow up with your original surgeon as long as you and s/he continue to have an open, mutually acceptable dialogue about where to go from here. This may be reflective of fluid retention after liposuction combined with skin removal that was not as aggressive as some surgeons would be, but that is not easy to judge completely without an in-person examination.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck results

+5

No, I do not think you are seeing the final results of your surgery at 11 weeks post-op. As you know, during your surgery the abdominal wall skin with elevated; it may take many more months (and up to the year) for that skin to retract back to the form of the underlying musculoskeletal structure. As this retraction of skin occurs you will notice an improvement in the end result.

At this point, it would be helpful to continue to increase your activity level and watch your diet. I would also suggest  patience  and follow-up with your surgeon with questions and concerns.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Swelling? after Lipoabdominoplasty

+5

First I think it is commendable that your surgeon wants you to be happy and would be willing to do a revision if you are unhappy.  At close to 3 months you probably have a fairly good idea of what thinks will look like but things will continue to change.  I do not think it is unreasonable to wait another 3 months.  Sometimes there are fluid collections or residual swelling that may take longer to improve.  Did your surgeon perform a plication or tightening of your abdominal muscles? A preop photo would be helpful as well if you have one. 

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck at 11 weeks.

+4

It is possible to have some continued swelling at 11 weeks after a tummy tuck. From the photos you have provided, your skin tone appears poor. This is evidenced by the stretch marks on the abdomen as well as the upper thighs. In some patients with poor skin tone, revisions are necessary as the "tightness" from the original operation relaxes. The good news is that this is often a much smaller procedure (essentially removal of skin) to have performed. Waiting at least 6 months is recommended to allow for all of the relaxation to occur. By waiting, you decrease the likelihood that your revision will need a revision!

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Swelling 3 months after a tummy tuck

+4

Based on your photos it appers you have some excess skin that may need to be removed in the future. I'm not convinced swelling is the cause for your current abdominal contour.  Continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon and if in 6-9 months the contour isn't what you expected, he can improve the shape with a revision (removal of skin).

Dr.Bruno

Web reference: http://www.williambrunomd.com

Swelling after tummy tuck

+4

I have not had the chance to evaluate you, but intermittent swelling after lipoabdominoplasty is very common. The swelling can take months to go away. Some of the fullness you have while sitting will always be there to some extent because there needs to be some looseness so you can stand up. I did not get to see any photos from before surgery for comparison to see just how loose your abdomen was before. I will usually wait at least 6 months before considering any touch-ups because the results do continue to change. Just remember that you can help the final appearance with good dietary habits, exercise, and healthy lifestyle choices like refraining from smoking. I hope this resolves for you without any intervention.

Champaign Plastic Surgeon

Post tummy tuck

+3

This may not be your final resting point.You can try to increase your muscle tone by exercising and also massge to reduce what looks like soem swelling just above your incision.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

How do I look 11 weeks after lipoabdominoplasty?

+3

Lipo-abdominoplasty is a procedure where liposuction is done to reduce the excess fat and help mobilize the skin but the skin flaps aren't raised to preserve blood supply to the skin flaps. It would have been good if you showed a pre-op picture. You have a lot of stretch marks and your skin has very little elasticity. Depending on how you looked before surgery your results could be considered acceptable or inadequate. I would suggest to keep in touch with your plastic surgeon. It is good that he is willing to help you further.

Web reference: http://www.BetterPlasticSurgery.com

Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Post tummy tuck swelling

+3

It is common to have some residual swelling at the 11th week mark, and your doctor is right to wait for the 6th month mark for a reasssement.  Any excess skin at that point may be improved with a revision.

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Post tummy tuck swelling

+3

Part of the problem is the expectation that there will be no loose skin when you sit.  Your skin is also severely stretch marked, so there is no elasticity left in it. I would also wait till 6 to 8 months after the tummy tuck to access your situation when all the swelling has subsided.

Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon