Mommy Makeover: Is it Advisable to Stay n Hospital Overnight?

Some doctors keep the patient in the hospital over night while others send the patient home after surgery. I am concerned about being home and having something go wrong, or having the stress of being around the kids without the ability to help out. What are the pros and cons of going home the day of a tummy tuck and breast lift?

+2

We routinely do mommy makeovers as out patient procedures. We see patients in our office the morning after surgery and the following week. You will need someone to not only take over your responsibilities at home but also to look after you. Do as much in advance at home to prepare (shopping, laundry, meal preparation etc) and give yourself a chance to recover.

Staying overnight is always a possibility, but it is expensive, and not medically necessary.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Hospital stay or aftercare after mommy makeover

+2

We require all out tummy tuck patients, and mommy makeover patients, spend one night in Aftercare facility.

While this is not be universal, and every surgeon has his or her own protocol, we feel more comfortable when an RN is on the premises monitoring the patient's vital signs, blood oxygen, and giving them injectable medications and anti nausea medications if they need it.

Even in the day of pain pumps, it is not good to be stuck at home and in pain, with no injectable pain medicine available, or to have a medical problem (fluid shifts, PE, etc) and not be monitored.

Web reference: http://www.drbrent.com/tummy-tuck-procedure.php

Overnight care following mommy makeover

+1
An overnight stay with consistent supervision by medical professionals provides peace of mind for patients and their families. I will see patients the evening after surgery and the following morning. Patients feel at ease. Many women who undergo mommy makeovers have young children at home and being cared for the firt night seems to make the recovery easier o  the entire family. 
In my arctic, an overnight stay is not an option. 

Web reference: http://www.michaellawmd.com/before-after-photos.html

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Overnight Stay - Is It A Good Idea?

+1

It is our policy at the Mommy Makeover Institute of Hawaii to keep patients overnight if the procedure goes over 6-7 hours.  We decided on this as a requirement after talking to several husbands who were overwhelmed by being responsible for their wives after a long surgical procedure.

Our surgery center is fortunate in having an outstanding overnight nurse, and the facility and building allow for overnight patients.  In the past, I have certainly sent patients home who had procedures lasting over 6 hours, and have fortunately never encountered any negative consequences.  Board Certified plastic surgeons experienced in the multiple procedures in a Mommy Makeover routinely send patients home with very few, if any, medical problems.  However, the emotional stress on the patient and their caregivers often requires an overnight stay at the surgical facility, and of course, also decreases the chance of complications from movement to and from the facility. 

In the rare instance of a complication such as a hematoma, the patient is already at the facility, the team can be mustered quickly, and the patient treated in a more expeditious fashion than if the husband has to drive the patient back to the facility.  All things being equal, if I had a long surgery with multiple procedures, I would prefer staying at the facility and getting professional care.   

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Can Be Performed As An Outpatient Surgery

+1

The mommy makeover is an extensive procedure that combines cosmetic breast surgery, liposuction and abdominoplasty. In the vast majority of cases, I’ve performed the procedure on an outpatient basis in an ambulatory surgery center. Patients typically return home after surgery and are seen in follow up the next morning.

When cosmetic surgery is performed on an outpatient basis, certain criteria must be met. Patients need to be in good health otherwise and they must have a support system in place. Many mommy makeover patients have small children at home. This potentially complicates after care because both the patient and her children need care givers.

Safety should always be a priority. When patients have co-existing medical problems, they should undergo a comprehensive medical evaluation before surgery. Depending upon the results of these studies, inpatient surgery may be indicated.

Every patient’s situation is slightly different, and because of this, some patients should have inpatient surgery, while others should have outpatient surgery. This decision is determined by multiple factors. These include the overall health of the patient, the nature of the procedure, the surgeon’s preference, and the patient’s support system. The vast majority of cases can be done safely on an outpatient basis. This has the added advantage of significant savings and the convenience of home during recovery.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

+1

All of our patients go home the same day and do well.  This has a lot to do with the anesthesia and whether they medicate you to go home the same day or use longer acting medications.

Web reference: http://www.elitemdspa.info/

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Going home after mommy makeover surgery

+1

A mommy makeover may involve multiple procedures including breast augmentation, breast lift, and tummy tuck surgery. I perform surgeries at an outpatient surgery center. Patients are usually discharged home, preferably with a nurse for one day. It is important to have a good support system to help you during the healing process. During your pre-op appointment, we provide information regarding post-op care instructions to help you prepare for your recovery. I ask my patient to have a caretaker (nurse, family member, friend) be with them for the first 24-hours post-surgery. Your follow-up appointments are scheduled to make sure you are healing properly and to address all issues and concerns with your plastic surgeon.

On this site, I do my best to give advice without a physical examination but I want you to know that a physical examination by a certified physician is always the best way to get the most accurate information.  

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_mommyMakeover.htm

Overnight stay after mommy makeover

+1

Our routine is to have all of our "mommy makeover" patients stay overnight in our accredited surgery center, with one-on-one nursing care.  This way, we can make sure that they are comfortable, that they are given DVT prophylaxis medications, and that their family doesn't have to worry about taking them home immediately after a major procedure.  I check them over in the morning before they are discharged home, and personally review all the instructions with the patient and their family member.

For most women, mommy makeover is outpatient procedure.

+1

Hi.

We require you to have a private duty nurse who takes you home and spends the night with you.  I think that is a critical safety step.

Hospital Stay After Mommy Makeover is Optional, and Depends On Your Circumstances

+1

Medically, you may need to stay in a hospital overnight after a Mommy Makeover if

-  you require some type of monitoring for a chornic illness, like diabetes

-  you have a hear or lung condition where your fluid input and output needs to be monitored

-  you had A LOT of surgery, typicaly 4 hours or longer

A hospital stay is nice, but not necessary, based on

-  if you want to make sure you're recovering, and NOT taking care of your family

-  you're concerned about pain control after surgery, and want the option of very strong pain medication through an IV in a hospital setting

-  you need extra care and your spouse can't deliver it.

Going home is nice after a Mommy Makeover because

-  you're in familiar surroundings, with your loved ones

-  you know where everything is, including the bathroom and the kitchen

-  the food is usually better

I hope this helps-  have fun with your transformation!