Moderate Plus Vs High Profile Silicone Gel Implants?

I'm in the middle of figuring out what implants I should get. I've dedided on either 275 or 300ccs of Silicone gel implants. I just can't figure out if I should go with the moderate plus or high profile.

I've looked at ALOT of before and after photos. Does it REALLY that much of a difference between the two?

Depends on what your breast augmentation goals are

+6

The difference between the moderate plus and the high profile is how far the implant will project from your chest wall. The high profile has a more narrow width, but contains the same volume as a wider implant. Thus, instead of going wider, it goes higher. When this is in your breast, it means that your breast will project forward more.

In general, high profile implants also create a more round look. This is because it is more narrow and more tall, I find this creates more fullness over the top part of your breasts. This make the augmentation more obvious. Some patients have referred to this as the "fake look." There are some women who really like this.

Most of my patients prefer not to have this look. They prefer that more of the fullness is located over the lower part of their breasts. This look is more consistent with a natural breast. If they desire more fullness up top, they use a "push up bra" to create that.

Thus, the choice of implant depends on the kind of look you want. If you want more roundness and fullness up top, then get the High Profile. If you prefer less fullness up top and a more natural look, then go with the moderate plus.

I disagree with the other physicians

+6

I disagree with the other physicians.  A high profile silicone implant will look like a moderate plus profile saline implant and therefore is the best implant for volume enhancement.  The silicone filler cancels out the firm water balloon look that the high profile saline implant provides. 

John Milam Shamoun, MD FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Moderate profile plus silicone gel implants for good projection, natural look

+6

There is a significant difference between moderate profile plus and high profile silicone gel breast implants.

I almost always use the moderate profile plus breast implants because they provide good projection of the nipple but have a wider base which provides a very natural looking breast profile at the chest wall.

I use the high profile most commonly for women who are very focused on cleavage and thos who have had previous breast implants that have sagged or bottomed out.

See before and after Breast Augmentation.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Either will look good, but...

+5

Chelsea,

When faced with this situation I often ask my patients a simple question, "do you prefer cleavage or projection more?"  If the answer is cleavage, then the moderate plus is the better choice and vice versa.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Breast implant sizing

+4

Communication with your surgeon is critical in achieving the results you wish. I find that this is best done with the use of pictures as opposed to trying to predetermine specific implant size or profile.

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size or model (profile) of implant used and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

It depends upon your measurements

+4

There is a difference in the width of the high profile or moderate plus implants so the same volume implant will be a little different in width. It is best to pick an implant that compliments your natural breast width. On average the mod + implants will give less projection and often times a little more of a natural post-op result. Talk with your plastic surgeon about the differences and what style would best suit your needs. Best of luck.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

There is a difference

+4

There is a difference in the projection and look of the moderate plus and the high profile implants but how much difference depends alot on your body. If your chest wall is very narrow, you might need the high profile to get the volume and look you want. if you want to stay a bit more conservative but still have some excess upper pole fullness, the moderate plus might be best. Ask these questions of your doctor since they know your body and your mesurements best.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

In most cases, the moderate profile plus give more natural results

+3

It all really depends on what you are hoping to achieve. In most cases, the moderate profile plus give breast implants give a more natural result, while the high profile implants give more projections. Your doctor should have some examples of the different implants in the office for you to see. Good luck with your procedure.

David Shafer, MD

Moderate plus versus high profile implants

+3

This is a difficult question to answer without an examination. High profile implants tend to have a smaller width, and therefore the volume comes out more in front, providing more projection if you look at the breast from the side. Moderate plus implants are a little wider, so there is less volume coming out. The difference in projection between the two is relatively small for the same size implant, perhaps 0.5 cm. However, if you have a very small frame, a high projection implant may fit better into your tissues than a moderate plus implant. This is something that your plastic surgeon will be able to clarify for you. Good luck!

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS