TUBA Breast Augmentation

I want to do a Transumbilical (TUBA) Breast augmentation. Can use you TUBA procedure to put the implants under the muscle?

Umbilical Breast Augmentation Great Method in Experienced Hands

Yes, you can place saline implants with an umbilcal approach under the muscle. And yes, the placement can be done accurately. The vase majority of doctors who claim that you cannot have accurate placement have not even done one breast augmentation with the umbilcal technique. So of course if you don't have experience it would be difficult. All the methods are good for placing breast implants including umbilical and trans- axillary. But if your doctor gives you a million reasons why the areola is better or the crease that probably means he/ she prefers to do it that way. So if you go to that doctor that is the way you should do it. Going with the umbilcal technique does not void the warranty.

TUBA's attraction is no scar on the breasts. But a bad augmentation looks worse than no scar!

It should be clear from my colleagues' comments that TUBA is fraught with potential problems that usually occur more frequently than with other incision choices. I know well-trained, experienced, board-certified plastic surgeons who do this operation (TUBA), and do it well. But just because it is possible does not mean it is the best! The surgeons who do this operation can show you many patient photos that will impress you, making you think that perhaps this is indeed a good choice. I can do the same with the other incision choices. But if you asked for the complication rate, re-operation rate, or satisfaction rate for several hundred consecutive patients of each technique, TUBA will have higher dissatisfaction, complications, and re-operations, in my humble opinion, than the other three incision choices.

I believe a carefully and precisely closed incision with fine sutures and below-the-skin closure results in an almost invisible scar in the vast majority of patients. I prefer the incision that allows me to do the most careful pocket creation, control bleeding and resultant pain, bruising, and capsular contracture, and the most accurate implant positioning. This allows the least complications, the fewest re-operations for any reason, and then the scar becomes a truly insignificant concern (even for models and entertainers)! BTW, TUBA patients who require re-operation for virtually any reason require a scar on the breast.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

The TUBA procedure is a good operation

I have been doing the Trans-Umbilical Breast Augmentation (TUBA) for almost twenty years now and approximately 4000 patients from all over the world.  I have a LOT of experience with this approach.  It can be done with the implants placed above or below the chest muscle.  The benefits of the TUBA approach is that there is only a single small scar hidden within the belly button.  Also, since there is less cutting of the tissue, the recovery seems to be faster and there is less risk to the nerve that supplies sensation to the nipple.  The disadvantages of the TUBA procedure are:  1.  It can only be used with saline-filled implants.  2.  Because the incision site is farther away from the breast, there is less precision in making the pocket and therefore a greater risk of asymmetry.  Be sure to choose someone with experience to do this procedure.  Even though I have done probably more TUBA operations than anyone else, I still get occasional patients that I need to take back for some asymmetry issue.  3.  If there are any problems during the initial surgery or if there is a need for a future surgery, a standard incision on the breast may be required.  For deflations, I can simply go back up through the navel and retrieve and replace the broken implant.

I think the TUBA has gotten a bad rap over the years.  I think this is primarily because there are a lot of non-board-certified plastic surgeons who do this operation and do it badly.  It is important that you find someone who is properly qualified to do this operation, not someone who simply took a weekend course somewhere.  In my experience, most plastic surgeons who say bad things about the TUBA have either never done one or never seen one done.  Those  plastic surgeons who have come to watch me do this operation have left the O.R. shaking their heads at how easy this operation is to do.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

With difficulty and only with saline

In my practice, I had the opportunity to operate at the same surgery center with Gerald Johnson,the plastic surgeon who developed TUBA ,and scrubbed with him on a few cases. The technique is primarily limited to sub mammary placement of saline implants. I never saw Gerald place the implants under the muscle. Although there are a few physician who describe sub muscular placement using the TUBA approach, I see more patients with malposition of the implants using this technique, than I have seen patients with a nice result. For sub muscular placement, I use either the axillary, periareolar, or inframmary crease incision. If you're going with saline, the incision is only 3 or 4 cm which is about 1 1/2 inches. With silicone the incision is larger since silicone implants are prefilled.

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Under or over

Yes, you can have the implants placed over or under the muscle as long as the surgeon who is performing your surgery is experienced in the technique.

Yes to Subpectoral

Breast implants can be placed under the pectoralis muscle via the umbilical incision (TUBA).  However, there are limitations to the TUBA approach.  Because the incision size is small and located in a remote position, saline implants must be used, you cannot use silicone, it just won't fit.  If you are very thin the path (tracts) from the umbilicus to the breast used to place the implants can develop noticeable scarring.  Also, if you need to have your inframammary crease adjusted during the procedure, which is very common, it is hard, but not impossible to perform through the belly button.

I have been using the TUBA and TABA (trans-abdominal bilateral augmentation) for 10 years and it is a valuable procedure in the RIGHT  patient.  

Good Luck,

David R Finkle, MD

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

TUBA

Implants placed by the TUBA procedure can be placed under or over the muscle, but are typically placed over the muscle.  I have seen many patients with bad results after this procedure including implant malposition or implants just too tight in the pocket.  In general, the only advantage is the scar.  Often, using this procedure will void the warranty for your implant so I would definitely consider your alternatives. Scott Newman, MD FACS

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Reconsider TUBA

TUBA (Trans-Umbilical Breast Augmentation) is not embraced by most plastic surgeons because there are specific additional risks unique to this approach, including improper implant positioning, either soon after surgery or developing over time.

Before committing to this approach, consult a few plastic surgeons or read more about the complications on the Internet.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

TUBA - Can it be done under the muscle?

In a word - yes! In fact, I think the surgery is technically easier to perform under the muscle than trying to insert the implant on top of the muscle. Another point I would make is don't be discouraged and keep looking for someone who has experience with this approach. There are a lot of 'theoretical' objections to this procedure, but for the right patient it  is a great technique. There is only one small and inconspicuous incision and results should be comparable to all other techniques. Still, there is a definite 'learning curve' for the surgeon and he/she has to leave the comfort zone of being able to look directly at the operative site. Silicone implants cannot be used with this technique and it can be difficult to perform revisional surgeries through the same incision as well. Still if you want saline implants, don't want an incision on your breasts and if your umbilicus is large enough this is, in my opinion a worthwhile procedure - with the understanding that you are using a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this approach.

Jon F. Harrell, DO

TUBA Augment

TUBA in my opinion is not the way to go.I have seen several in my practice that looked terrible.Also you can't put silicone in which in my opinion is the best.Also you must check to see if the implant manufacturerwill provide a warranty using this approach.The majority of my augmentations are with the inframammary approach.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon