Does a Tummy Tuck Affect the Shape of the Hips/thighs?

I am 5'6" and weigh 200 lbs. I lost 100 lbs about 3 years ago with Weight Watchers and have a lot of loose skin around my abdomen. I am having a full tt with liposuction of the flanks in two weeks. Does a tt also slim the hips/thighs somewhat simply from pulling the abdomen so tight? I am concerned about my waist/abdomen being disproportionate to my hips/thighs after all of the swelling is gone.

Tummy tuck might help the thigh

+1

With weight loss the skin excess can drift into the upper lateral and inner thigh, and with a high lateral tension pull, some improvement can be seen in the thigh. You can imagine this by grabbing the skin at the waist and pulling up just like pulling on a pair of pants. If you are concerned about how the thigh and leg will look after, discuss things well before your procedure.

Will A Tummy Tuck Affect The Shape Of Hips/Thighs?

+1

There will be minimal if any effect from the upcoming surgery you described on your hips and thighs.  These areas are not anatomically "connected" and the increased flatness and tightness of the abdomen will not affect your thighs.  You are right to be concerned about the possible disproportions, however.  It is possible that another body reshaping surgery involving some liposuction for your hips and thighs will be needed as the next step.

Lyle M. Back, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

+1

Your tummy tuck will treat your anterior abdominal wall.   Additional liposuctioning can treat your waist.   A tummy tuck will not really affect your thighs.  Please talk to your plastic surgeon about treatment options.  

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Will TT affect the look and shape of hips/thighs?

+1

The short answer is no. The tummy tuck procedure is helpful in removing excess skin and fat below the belly button and tightening the muscles of the abdomen.  It does not address fat above the belly button and will not change the shape or look of the hips and thighs.  If you are still having doubts about your expected results make sure you go and talk with your PS one more time before surgery. Good luck.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon