Mini Tummy Tuck for Stretch Marks and Piercing Scar?

I'm 20 years old and I just had a baby about 6 months ago. Before I had her, I had a beautiful stomach--now I hate it. I have ugly stretch marks under my belly button.  I also have an ugly belly peircing scar and a thick c-section scar. I want to be able to wear a bikini again and not feel self consious. I was thinking about a mini tummy tuck to get rid of the stretch marks. Will it also work for the scars? If not, do you have any suggestions, especially about the ugly peircing scar?

Mini Tummy Tuck

+3

I advise women to wait until they are done having babies prior to having any form of abdominoplasty. If you are not planning on more pregnancies, consult with a board certified plastic surgeon regarding a full tummy tuck which would address your concerns. best wishes!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck - stretch marks - scar revision

+2

Hi there,

You have three separate questions / concerns that do not have one solution.

• The belly button scar can undergo a scar revision - removing some of the extra skin should also help improve the appearance in that area.
  • The C-section scar can also have a scar revision. Often, due to the hormonal changes with pregnancy and skin tension, these scars can be wider. The final result also depends on how you heal - some patients form heavier / thicker scars naturally.
  • The mini-tummy tuck will help flatten the lower part of your abdomen and can be a part of the scar revision surgery for the C-section scar. However, you do not have enough extra skin to excise the stretch marks present.
  • The stretch marks are the most difficult to deal with. I performed a study using technology to improve scars. I also treated stretch marks. You can see the color improvement after a series of ReLume treatments. However, the texture and light reflection of the stretch mark area remains the same.

Michael Kulick, MD

It is not likely that you can elimate scars and striae

+2

Given your long waist, and low lying scar, and upper abdominal striae (stretch marks), it is unlikely that a mini tummy tuck will correct all your problems. A mini may improve your scar but will not eliminate your piercing or your stretch marks

A Full Abdominoplasty Would Address the Piercing Scar

+1

It’s unusual to perform an abdominoplasty on a women who is only twenty years of age and has only one child.  This procedure should be delayed until women are done having children.  It’s not a procedure that can be frequently repeated over and over again.

Assuming you’re done having children there are several issues that should be addressed.  Your pictures suggest that you have redundant abdominal skin with stretch marks, weakened abdominal muscles, a lower abdominal C-section scar and scarring associated with an umbilical piercing.

Without the ability to perform a physical examination, it’s hard to make a specific recommendation.  It would appear that a mini abdominoplasty would not meet your aesthetic expectations for several reasons.  This procedure would not tighten the upper abdominal muscles or address the excess skin in this region.  In addition the piercing scars and some of the stretch marks would still be present.

For these reasons a better option might be a full abdominoplasty with a lower vertical scar.  This would be necessary to address the piercing scar in the presence of a low C- section scar.

It’s important to discuss all these issues with your plastic surgeon.  There’s probably no perfect solution for your problem and no matter what is decided you need to be a participant in the decision.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tucks Intended to Tighten Skin

+1
A mini tummy tuck is intended to tighten the skin of the lower abdomen.This is the area between the bellybutton and the pubic bone.No skin tightening should be expected to occur above the bellybutton in the performance of a mini tummy tuck.If there is significant laxity of the skin above the bellybutton then a full tummy tuck will be required for optimal enhancement of the abdominal wall.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Separate procedures may help more than a mini tummy tuck.

+1
Your C-section scar and belly button piercing can both be addressed with scar revision surgery, and that can be done without incorporating a mini tummy tuck at all. However, the stretch marks around your belly button are troublesome. Stretch marks would only be removed during a tummy tuck if they happen to be present on the skin that’s excised, through the lower part of the abdomen. A tummy tuck (full or mini) would likely only move the stretch marks further down your abdomen, not remove them. They will fade over time, although they are not likely to vanish completely. I would also suggest waiting on any procedure until you’re sure you’re done having babies, as more changes in your body could undo the work of the surgery.

Glenn M. Davis, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck post pregnancy.

+1

Hello. My first question would be, "Are you done having babies?" I usually recommend patients to wait until they are done having children before they have at tummy tuck done. It is hard to tell without examination if you indeed are a candidate for a tummy tuck. I would say, make a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in doing tummy tuck surgery, for best results. Good luck to you.

Jaime Perez, MD

Mini tummy tuck and stretch marks

+1

A mini tummy tuck will not remove all the stretch marks that you have, but a full tummy tuck will get rid of most of them.

You are a great candidate for a mini tummy tuck!

+1

Mini tummy tucks are very popular in young mothers who have stretch marks and who may have had skin changes after having a belly button piercing and then becoming pregnant. If they have excess skin or stretch marks limited to the central portion of the abdomen, they may be excellent candidates for a mini tummy tuck. It may also be possible to correct a small amount of excess skin above the belly button with an illegal plastic at the same setting. If you have sufficient skin in the lower at women, they may be a candidate for a regular tummy tuck and the creation of a brand-new bellybutton.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Benefits of a Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Based on the pictures you provided, you look like an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck procedure. A full tummy tuck vs a mini tummy tuck involves much more work and can give you a better result. In your case, a full tummy tuck would involve repairing and tightening the rectus muscles and removal of the stretched and excess skin. Unforunately, due to pregnancy the quality of the skin was stretched causing stretch marks and loose tissue.

Tummy tuck procedures are very invasive and require a good support system during the recovery period. Recovery could take up to 4-6 weeks and you must stay "hunched over" for atleast 1 month. Considering you are in good health and you are at young age, the healing process should be quicker for you and you can enjoy your results for a long period of time.

It is very important that you are finished having children. This type of surgery does not guarantee permanent results and can be affected or reversed with another pregnancy. Also, finding a board certfied plastic surgeon is very important for your safety.