Can Vomiting Tear Abdominal Muscle Sutures?

I had a mini tummy tuck and liposuction, and 2-3 wks post-op, I became ill, where I was vomiting for a few days. I am 4 weeks post-op, and I remain swollen and tender in the abdominal area. Is it possible that I tore a stitch? How can I tell if I did and how would the doctor be able to see?

Tummy Tuck and Breaking "Muscle Repair”?

+1

Based on your description, I do not believe that any harm has been done. However, your plastic surgeon will be able to reassure you more after direct examination. During this examination a localized “bulge"  of the abdominal wall ( with you in the flexed/bent  position or straining/coughing)  may indicate that muscle separation has occurred.

Generally however the muscle plication performed is quite secure  and typically does not come apart with vomiting episodes.

Vomiting and muscle tear

+1

If you were having violent bouts of vomiting after a mini tummy tuck, it was possible but rare to have torn your muscle repair.  Ask your surgeon to examine you.

Vomiting causing rupture of mini tummy tuck muscle repair

+1

Yes, in  rare instances violent contractions or force on the rectus muscle repair can result in a disruption of the surgery which may be difficult to diagnose intially.

Torn abdomina sutures after vomiting possible, but unlikely

+1

This question is asked not uncommonly. I have seen patients who may have stretched their repairs a bit, but I have not seen one who actually ripped it apart. Then again it would be hard to tell without going back in there (in another operation). A CT scan or MRI would be unlikely to see a rip unless it was quite large. These things are usually managed based upon the doctor's examination.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Maybe...

+1

there are usually not many internal sutures used with mini-abdominoplasties -- only your surgeon would know how many were used and where they were placed. If you did tear a suture, it may not need repaired if the contour is nice after all of the swelling has resolved. If it needs fixed, it would be a similar operation to the one you just had. Swelling is certainly still expected 4 weeks out and I wouldn't make any plans to revise anything for at least 2 more months. Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Post liposuction and mini tummy tuck

+1

Vomiting after those procedures can affect the repair. Usually, in a mini-tuck, I would tighten the muscles in the middle to achieve better contouring. Depending on how the tightening is done, prolonged or severe vomitting could affect the sutures. This is best addressed with the plastic surgeon who did your procedure.

J. Vicente P. Poblete, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon