Mini or Full Tummy Tuck After Twins

I have had two previous pregnancy's the first as a teen with twins and a single birth 7 months ago. I want to get a tummy tuck done but I really want the scaring to be minimum. Which procedure would work best for me and is a mini tummy tuck a option?

Mini or full tummy tuck after twins?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! I hope that these answers help! Tummy tuck is an excellent method for shaping the belly and create a flatter and sculpted abdomen after the procedure. Given your desires, I do believe that you would be an excellent candidate for this procedure in order to remove the excess skin/soft tissue of your lower abdomen and contour the areas of your belly. Also, abdominal wall tightening may optimize your result. Stretch marks to the level of your umbilicus will also be excised. Also, a continued healthy and active lifestyle prior to the procedure and afterwards is recommended in order to maintain the benefits that the procedure has given to you.

Once you are ready for the procedure, I would likely recommend a full tummy tuck with abdominal wall tightening. This would remove the excess skin/soft tissue and stretch marks while contouring your belly. The mini tummy tuck has limited usefulness and limited candidates as it truly only addresses excess skin in a small area above your pubis. It will not address your abdominal wall and the tightening of such, frequently needed to achieve a shapely abdominal wall. While the recovery time is shorter, the benefits afforded to you by a full tummy tuck are much greater and will optimize your result. You should consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon well-versed in body contouring procedures at anytime to go over options to assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be right for you. Best wishes!

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck After Twins

+1

Thank you for the question.  It is not possible to give you good advice without viewing pictures or in-person physical examination. 

The “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

Of course, this operation is associated with a longer abdominal wall scar and a significant recovery time; on the upside, the aesthetic outcome is much more likely to be to your liking.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an operation that produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides.  

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

When to get a mini tummy tuck or a full tummy tuck

+1

A tummy tuck is a safe and effective procedure that can create a more contoured abdomen, a tight waist and a beautiful figure.

In our Miami practice, we feel that as all patients are unique, so is every tummy tuck.
Some of our patients receive a mini tummy tuck, some receive a full tummy tuck, while others receive a combination of both procedures. During the initial consultation, we spent a great deal of time talking to the patients to understand what their concerns are, to learn their aesthetic goals, so that in this way we can create a surgical plan that will help the patient meet their aesthetic ideal. If a woman has extra skin and extra fat but the muscles are in good condition, we may be able to perform a mini tummy tuck. If the woman also needs a muscle repair, a full or a regular tummy tuck may be necessary.
Your best bet is to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon that has a great deal of experience in tummy tucks, liposuction, body contouring surgery. Such a specialist will be able to understand your goals and combined this with a thorough physical evaluation to present and operative plan that will help you meet your aesthetic ideal.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Mini vs full Tummy tuck

+1

It is impossible to give you a recommendation without a physicial exam.  However, if you've had multiple pregnancies including twins, I would guess that you will need a full tummy tuck.

After multiple pregnancies including twins, I would most likely recommend a full abdominplasty +/- liposuction of the waist. A tummy tuck (also called abdominoplasty) is a very popular cosmetic surgery procedure. A tummy tuck can be an effective tool for shaping and sculpting the body for better body appearance and improved self esteem.

Sometimes no amount of diet and exercise can create a flat tummy. Tummy tuck plastic surgery actually tightens abdominal muscles and removes excess fat and skin from the stomach area to create a tighter, slimmer, smoother belly. A tummy tuck can be combined with other procedures such as liposuction of your waists or flanks (i.e. love handles) to fine tune your result

Patients choose abdominoplasty cosmetic surgery for a number of reasons, including:

Excess abdominal skin following weight loss; Weight gain (beer belly or spare tire) from a sedentary lifestyle; Abdominal fat that is resistant to diet and exercise; Stretched stomach muscles from pregnancy; Desire for a thinner profile; Desire to look younger and fitter; Desire to fit into clothes better

I recommend you visit with an ASPS member plastic surgeon to further explore your options and to find out if you are a candidate for this procedure

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Mini vs. full tummy tuck

+1

There are pros and cons to each procedure.  The mini tummy tuck has the advantage of avoiding a scar around your belly button and usually a shorter scar in the bikini line.  BUT, with the mini tuck, the upper abdomen cannot be tightened.  The full tuck has more scar but provides a correction for your entire abdomen.  If only the lower skin is loose and there isn't much problem in your upper abdomen, then a mini tuck can indeed be a better choice.

Jonathan Heistein, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Mini versus full tummy tuck after twins pregnancy

+1

A mini tummy tuck does not mean a short incision. After twins it is most likely you will need a full. See the description of the procedures in the video in the linked page below that describes the differences.

How to decide between mini and a full tummy tuck

+1

The simple answer is that you need to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine which technique is right for you.  For most women, a full tummy tuck is a better option.  Although there may be longer scars, you are able to address loose skin of the upper and lower abdomen and the belly button tends to stay in a more normal anatomic location than with a mini tummy tuck which may lower it.

Jason Brett Lichten, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck options

+1

This impossible to answer without an examination. There are many variations of the tummy tuck and your surgeon should go over all the options for you. A mini-tuck general refers to removing the skin and fat from the lower part of your abdomen, above your pubic area, and does not move the belly button.The scar is variable and determined by how much skin is removed: the more skin, the longer the incision. We tried to keep it within the panty or bikini line.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Tummy tuck or mini?

+1

Without an exam it is impossible to tell.  In the majority of cases, I would recommned a full tummy tuck for the best contour results, but the trade off is a longer incision.

You want a tight skin above your belly button,you need a full tuck!

+1

cosmetic surgery is always a trade off!

the belly  button is like a nail in a  saggy  drape ,if you  dont change it ,you wont be able to tighten the drape.

if only the  lower skin is loose ,a mini tuck  can indeed be the answer.

Christian G. Drehsen, MD