Is Microdermabrasion a Good Method for Treating Keratosis Pilaris?

I have tiny red bumps all over my torso and upper arms that seem to improve if I tan, but since I also have sensitive/fair skin I prefer to not have to rely on tanning.

Keratosis pilaris management

Keratosis pilaris is a chronic condition. We have no cure for it yet. Microdermabrasion , if anything, will only improve the appearance temporarily. A better option would be the use of a strong moisturiser [keratolytic] such as Amlactin, available as an OTC product. It is to be aplied after showers, & at bedtime , specially in dry weather.

Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

Microdermabrasion for Keratosis Pilaris

Microdermabrasion cannot do much for Keratosis Pilaris inasmuch as the  scales are  too deep.

No good treatment exists for Keratosis Pilaris. However,  moisturizing the skin with a 20% Urea cream or a 40% Urea cream can provide good temporary "masking of the problem". Unfortunately, the day you stop applying this cream, the condition immediately reappears.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist