Scarring After Stitches and Missing Month Corners? (photo)

Hi, I got elbowed, busted my lips open, which was deep to the point, in which I was a hole that you can see inside. The cut was horizontal Got 3 stitches. now I am notice where I got hit, the one of the corner is deeper then the other. Is this normal? Also, What are the chances of scaring? The primary impact was on the lips. Thank You

Scarring After Stitches and Missing Month Corners?

+2

It seems that your injury is new given that the sutures are still present and there is a fair amount of swelling. Your injury will mature and improve for up to 12 months. It is highly likely that the asymmetry will improve significantly in the meantime. With regard to scarring, the red portion of the lip tends to heal incredibly well. The white portion of the lip can be more prone to scarring but it seems that you've had an adequate repair. Essentially, time will tell. If the issues with the shape of the corner of your mouth continue to be an issue or if you develop an objectionable scar you could see a Facial Plastic Surgeon to discuss scar revision but I would not consider that for at least 6, possibly 12, months. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/scar-treatments/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar on lip

+2

scar on lips usually heal very well due to the excellent blood supply. I would wait a few months to see how the scar eventually looks.

Lip scars and repair of lip laceration scars

+1

The sutures look to be well placed.  I would consider scar revision for the lips if you have any problems with lip contour, bumps, or uneven lines on the lips.

Web reference: http://surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/38/scar-revision.aspx