How Long After TT Can You Go on a Boat and in the Sun?

How long after having a TT, MR and lipo of hips can I go out on my boat and in the sun again?

Sun Exposure and Activity After Tummy Tuck in Melbourne, Florida

Thanks for your question about going out in the boat and in the sun after your tummy tuck surgery. My Melbourne, FL, tummy tuck patients, of course, ask me this question all the time! First of all, I advise my patients to avoid raising blood pressure, doing any heavy working out, heavy lifting or strenuous activity for six weeks as a precaution to protect their result and guard against possible issues with damaging the incision or causing a bleeding problem due to increased activity. With that being said, simply sitting on a boat in itself is not concerning after you are well healed and can move around without undo pain or caution while you are moving. After all, you would want to be able to react safely if something unexpected occurs. Having said that, until your incisions are well healed, including drains out and drain sites healed, you would not want to be in any type of lake or ocean water due to the risk of infection from bacteria. In addition, you would want to keep your incisions covered to protect them from the exposure to the sun which could cause scars to appear darker over time. If you are having difficulty moving around or you are still on pain medication or moving with caution, it would probably be best to wait on this activity until you are well healed.

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

How long after a star can you go on a boat and in the sun?

Hello! Thank you for your question! After any surgical procedure, you should be careful with incisions as well as avoidance of direct UVA and UVB rays in order to lessen the chance for hyperpigmentation of the skin and scars, which can take several months to resolve, if it ever does. Sunblock is recommended regardless. The ability of the affected area to heal has been slowed and you should try to avoid additional swelling to the area. The area will likely be numb for several weeks to months and will be difficult to feel when sunburn is coming on.

Typical recommendations include wearing a hat and/or sunblock to the affected area for at least 6-12 weeks following the procedure. It takes up to one year for scars to fully mature. You should also avoid trauma to the area for several months to protect the refinements made during the procedure. Also, avoidance of pools/lakes/jacuzzis/etc for 4-6 weeks is usually recommended to allow adequate healing and protection from stagnant water, that could potentially harbor bacteria. Lifting/exercise restrictions are common for at least 7 weeks. Certainly discuss the postoperative instructions with your surgeon, as thoughts differ among surgeons. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

How long until boating and sun exposure after a tummy tuck.

THe answer depends upon how you feel. If you are getting around easily without much pain or discomfort, then being on a boat in calm waters should be fine. Sunscreen with an SPF of 30 is always advised. If you are having difficulty getting up, still walking hunched over, or are needing pain medication, it's best to give yourself more time to heal.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Activity level post tummy

I would probably wait a minimum of 4 weeks before doing any heavy type execise or exertion.This is especially true if you had your muscles plicate.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

So long as you are not doing anything exertional, you can get out on a boat whenever you feel up to it. If you are actively helping to sail, you will need about 6 weeks.

When out in the sun, keep the incisions covered with clothing, or with sun block of at least SPF30. It is said that if fresh  scars tan they may remain dark permanently. 

Boating and Sun Exposure After Tummy Tuck

With six to eight weeks after surgery, you should be fully able to fully participate in all physical activites including swimming and boating. The tummy tuck scar should be protected from sun exposure with high SPF sunscreen for up to six months after surgery. 

Sun exposure after tummy tuck

By six weeks after surgery, you should be able to resume your normal physical activities.  As long as the scars are pink or red (perhaps 6-12 months) you should try to avoid sun exposure to the scars and use sun protection on the scars.  If you're boating, consider putting zinc ointment (the white stuff life guards use on their nose) to protect the scars, or at a minimum apply sun screen hourly or every time you get out of the water.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Sun Exposure after a Tummy Tuck

6 weeks after a tummy tuck most patients are released to resume full normal activity. It is recommended to keep your scars covered as the sun exposure can darken your scars.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Sun Exposure after Tummy Tuck

For scar management, you should keep the incisions covered in the sun for at least 6 months, or until the scars have matured.   We usually give the patients flesh colored tape for this.  Also, use at good waterproof sunscreen for added protection.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Sun exposure after tummy tuck

If you are going to be out in the sun, I would strongly recommend keeping your incisions covered for at least 6 months and ideally one year.  If they are exposed, you must use sunscreen.