Can I Use Melarase Cream on Leg Dark Spots from Insect Bites?

I have dark spots on my legs from old insect bite marks. They cause me to be concerned about darkening and they are visible underneath the skin. Can I use Melarase cream for these dark discoloration spots on my legs and how long will it take for the dark spots to disappear.

Hydroquinone for Dark Spots

+1

Hi Yoshi.  It looks like Melarase has hydroquinone in it.  This would be a standard prescription for the type of dark spots you are inquiring about.  One of the key issues is how strong the medication is.  We would likely suggest a 4% - 6% hydroquinone formulation.  

If the hydroquinone does not yield the type of results you are looking for, we can provide q-switched laser treatments (we are in Los Angeles).  Click the link below to visit before and after pictures of exactly the type of issue you are describing.  

Melarase AM and Melarase PM for dark spots on the legs from insect bites or pigmented scars

+1

The Melarase creams work well to control tyrosinase enzymes and thus lighten dark skin that leads to pigmented scars. I would recommend Melarase AM in the morning and Melarase PM in the evening.

The two creams are different in their mechanisms of action. Melarase AM does not contain hydroquinone, so it is more acceptable to patients who do not want hydroquinone based creams; whereas the Melarase PM does contain hydroquinone + other topical skin lighteners that work on tyrosinase. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS