Using Meladine to Improve Laser Hair Removal?

I have some white hair on my back which I would like to remove with a laser. I have had 8 treatments with the Elos Comet laser which claims to treat all hair colors. The white hairs still persist, althought they have decreased somewhat. I have read that a melanine enhancer product called Meladine can increase melanine in the hair folicle which should improve the lasers targeting and result in more hair being destroyed. Can anyone confirm or support the use of Meladine for white hair removal by laser?

Meladine probabaly not helpful; try electrolysis for white hair removal.

+1
As my colleagues below have stated, Meladine is not reliable enough to be worth your time or money. For the repeated treatments and low response rate involved, it might be worth your while to pursue electrolysis for the white hairs on your back instead, which works for any hair color by individually killing each follicle with a tiny electric current.

Laser hair removal for white hairs

+1

The target for laser in laser hair removal is pigment. The best results are in those who have fair skin and dark hair. Sadly, the laser will not see a white hair and will not be effective in its removal.

Meladine in my experience did not accomplish any increased success in treating white hairs. Electrolysis could be considered as a method for permanently eliminating hair of any color. It is more tedious than laser, requiring the treatment of only one hair at a time. In a limited situation, such as a few white hairs on the chin, electrolysis is still a good and effective technology.

Pamela Carr, MD
Sugar Land Dermatologic Surgeon

Meladine and laser hair removal of lightly pigmented hair

+1

When Meladine first came on the market, I treated about 5 patients with this product who had grey or blond hair and wished to attempt treatment. I found the results quite poor, and no longer use, or recommend this product.

Jeffrey C. Poole, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Meladine might help laser hair removal of light colored hair

+1

Meladine might help laser hair removal of light colored hair minimally, in some patients. We have used in in the past on approximately 10-15 patients. I found it helped a little but not enough for us to enthusiastically recommend it or even to continue to carry it in our office (it is only sold through physicians).

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Meladine for laser hair removal of light colored hair

+1

Meladine is on the market to create a target for the laser, around the hair follicle, below the skin surface on light-colored hair. I had tried it on about six patients when the product first came on the market. In my very limited experience I did not find it to help, although one patient thought it did help. Possibly other providers have used this in the last several years and have more experience than I with the product and are more in favor of its use.

Ronald Shelton, MD