Will Mederma Help Fade Scars Left from IPL used to Remove Moles?

I got IPL done on some sun spots/moles and I was told to put Mederma on the places where the scab falls off and the skin underneath is pink. After some scabs fell off, there is still some brown pigment left and I wasn't sure if I should be putting Mederma on those too and if that will help fade the leftover marks because are those spots/marks considered scars? I looked up scars and it's defined as any injury to the skin? Are those marks considered scars then and will Mederma help fade them?

Scars from ipl. depends on what it really is and there are different options

+1

I would be lery to call something a scar when there is still pigmentation left. Sometimes you can get hyperpigmentation from ipl if you have dark hair and light skin. It really depends on what it looks like and what is really going on. Hyperpigmentation can be treated with topicals, chemical peels, and IPL as well.  Scars have other options. You can send me some pictures if you would like. Below is a video to illustate our answer better. We have other informative videos and information on our website and a link is included to help you find us.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

All removed moles should be check by a dermatopathologist

+1

Moles should not be removed with laser, since this does not allow the mole to be checked to make sure it's not cancerous. Mederma does not seem to work better than another moisturizer, such as Vaseline, aquaphor or vitamin E.

Gary Goldenberg, MD

Moles should never be removed by lasers or IPL

+1

The remaining brown pigment you are seeing could mean that it was a mole that was removed and that a deeper portion of the mole is still remaining which is producing pigment. What you are describing would therefore not likely be a scar. I feel that it is never appropriate to use a laser or IPL as your primary treatment for removing a mole. Regardless of how "benign" a mole may appear, a biopsy may still reveal it to be atypical. Using a laser or IPL to improve the appearance of a mole will alter its look and make it more difficult to observe for precancerous changes in the future. The majority of a mole can be removed very easily, and less expensively, using a shave biopsy technique. This typically results in a minimal scar, making the mole much less visible. It also has the added benefit of having tissue to send for microscopic examination, at least for reassurance purposes.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Mederma

+1

Mederma have been shown in at least two studies that it does not work. Only silicone gell sheating works

What to use after IPL for Brown Spots

+1

IPL (intense pulsed light) is often used to remove brown pigmented spots on the skin. Several treatments may be necessary.

This is the best time of the year to remove brown spots, age spots and mottled pigmentation caused by sun damage. Repair now, and then next spring and summer you can move on to protect and prevent more from coming back. 

We often combine IPL treatments with creams applied at home like Retin-A, Obagi, and hydroquinone. Also, make sure and use a UVA blocking moisturizing sunscreen like Anthelios for the perfect "recipe."

As to what to put on right after an IPL treatment, a bland soothing ointment like Vaseline and Aquaphor are among the best and just so happen to cost the least. 

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

I am not sure that Mederma does anything more than a moisturizer.

+1

Mederma needs a well controlled double-blind study to prove that it is actually effective in treating scars.  I am not convinced. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon