Will Massaging my Breast Implants Help to Soften Them?

I am 18 days post op BA. I got 300cc silicone unders. My PS doesn't start implant massaging until after my 1 month post op apt. I have read a lot of articles & posts that say early massaging will help soften the implants & relax the muscle allowing the implant to move like natural breast. My implants r soft but don't move much. Will starting massaging now help open the pocket so my breast r more movable? Or has the scar tissue already formed and it's too late? Any info is appreciated! Thx!

Breast massage

+1

Every surgeon has a bit different protocol. Just know that that there is no evidence to support or refute breast massage. Whichever method a plastic surgeon chooses is based in their experience. Speak with your plastic surgeon about your concerns. 

Implant Exercises

+1

Revisit the massage question with your Plastic Surgeon.  I usually recommend massages at 10 days post op.  This helps the implant to settle,as well as keep the pocket open.  Also, this will depend on whether you have smooth or textured implants.  Follow your Plastic Surgeon's post operative instructions for your best result.

Massaging breast implants

+1

I believe massage helps. However...

1) How you massage matters (most women do not massage firmly enough)

2) How often and how consistently you massage matters

3) Massage will help with some softening if the capsule is not calcified, but it is a mild tool.

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon prior to engaging in any massage protocol. There is also a company called Aspen which is located here in South Florida which is internationally known for its capsular contracture protocols.

If a capsule is too thick or there is some other reason that it has become thickened, you may have to either change the pocket or consider using an acellular dermal matrix product like Alloderm or Strattice to help prevent reformation of a hard capsule around the implant. It is the capsule (scar) around the implant which gets hard, not the implant itself.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Implant Exercises

+1

I favor the use of implant message techniques to help keep the pocket  bit more open.  Also is serves a form of a breast self exam.  I have my patients do these exercises for the life of the implant.  I start these exercises around 10-14 days after the procedure.  I think that even a month after the procedure would be helpful. Re-discuss this with your PS.

Dr. ES

Implant massage after breast augmentation

+1

Every surgeon has his own protocol regarding implant massage. If you have  textured implants, you do not massage at all!  I advise you to follow your surgeon's instructions.

Abington Plastic Surgeon

Massaging after breast implant surgery

+1

Every surgeon is different with regards to his protocol post-op. Some surgeons do not recommend massage.

Will massaging my breasts help soften them

+1

I would agree with the other responses you have gotten. Trust your surgeon. There is no hard data either way supporting massage. Your surgeon knows how things went during the procedure and has reasons behind his decisions. Follow his or her advice.

Web reference: http://www.drrickrosen.com/breast-augmentation-connecticut/

Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Massage after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Once a patient has selected her  plastic surgeon, it is best to follow his/her advice/recommendations.  There is no “hard science” that shows that breast implant massage will necessarily improve  results;  again, best to address questions/concerns with your plastic surgeon.   If in doubt, it is reasonable to to  question  him/her the rationale behind any of the recommendations given.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

+1

There isn't hard data either way about massage. Absent that, it is best to discuss this with your surgeon before do something he ahs suggested against.  If your implants are soft, chances are that massage won't do much more than that.  All the best.