Should I Have Maintenance Sessions of Photofacials?

I have had a series of photofacials and got really good results (about 5 treatments). My therapist now says I should purchase a series of maintenance sessions - having a facial approx every two months. Is it necessary to have "maintanenance" sessions and will I cause long term damage if I have too many photofacials?

Photofacials maintenance

+1

Maintenance therapy is usually recommended and is beneficial with photofacials to keep good results.  It's also important to have proper skin care routine at home, e.g. vitamin A creams, moisturisers, etc.  Best is to consult a dermatologist, ie a skin care expert.

Toronto Dermatologist

Photofacials and maintenance

+1

It is common and often recommended to have maintenance sessions after the initial photofacial treatments.  How often these maintenance sessions are is dependent on the individual.  It's typical to have a a pt return a few times a year for maintenance, but I recommend consulting with your provider to customize an individualized maintenance plan. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Photofacials and maintenance

+1

With aging, most treatments require maintenance to keep up the results.  Photofacials can be performed every 3 to 4 months for maintenance.  In between, you may be a candidate for a light chemical peel or microdermabrasion to keep stimulating collagen.  You should also be using at home products such as sunscreen, anti-oxidants, AHA's or retinols for maintenance.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist for assessment of your skin.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Maintenance photofacials are great!

+1

My opinion is that it is best to have maintenance photofacials, but you don't need to overdo it. You've spent a significant amount of time and money at this point to get your face looking good, and periodic maintenance treatments will help you maintain how great your skin looks. Because even though you've done this now, your face will continue to age, so doing maintenance helps halt this and keep your skin looking good. I've been doing photofacial treatments in my office for 12 years and most of my patients do a maintenance treatment every 3-6 months, depending on their skin type and level of damage. I've seen no evidence of any long term damage - only continued improvements!

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

We honestly have very little information about the long term effect of repeating photo facial this way.

+1

Typically in my office, maintenance involves one or two maintenance photo facial per year.  I have seen patents treatment elsewhere who have had as many a 50 photo facials.  There is really no evidence that having this many of these services is safe or for that matter dangerous.  A better question is this really necessary.  Rather that taking this schedule on faith, I would recommend seeing how things go and consider a periodic maintenance photo facial based on what you are seeing in your face rather than going by the calendar.

Maintenance Sessions of Photofacials

+1

While it is common to have maintenance sessions after the initial series of treatments, an in person consultation is needed to determine if that is appropriate for you, and to understand how frequent to have these maintenance treatments.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS