I Am a MtF Transgender Wanting Breast Implants - Options?

I would like to go as big as possible however I do not have a large amount of breast tissue and would preferably go over the muscle because of recovery and I do like to work out I am quite leand and 6ft 2 tall - however if I went under the muscle i would have more tissue to cover the implant I am definitely thinking silicone not saline. Any help would be appreciated xxx

Breast augmentation for SRS

I have been caring for patients with with GID for over twenty years and also have a busy breast augmentation practice.  It is rare that I recommend an under the muscle approach for the following reasons:

1) under the muscle is more painful;

2) under the muscle bleeds more and has a higher risk of post-op bleeding;

3) there is a potential space behind the muscle that extends into the neck, making implant migration more likely;

4) muscle activity can move the implant;

5) muscle activity during exercise distorts breast contours even in the best outcomes (and forever);

6) the breast is a modified skin organ and is naturally located on top of the muscle;

7) (IMPORTANT POINT) the pectoralis muscle in genetic males is very much more developed than in the genetic female, so going under the muscle in a patient transitioning MtF means working through a much more robust (read: strong; bloody) muscle.

New generation cohesive gel implants are so soft and have so few problems with wrinkling and rippling that they are very  well tolerated on top of the muscle, even in very slender patients. 

For the MtF patient implant size can be limited by the amound of available skin: overwhelming the skin envelope leads to an unnatural result.  Of course implant base diameter has to be sized to the patient's chest, but the volume that can be accomodated will depend on the overlying soft tissues.

Bottom line: for patients in MtF transition I never go under the muscle.

Feel free to contact me for additional information.

Dan Greenwald, MD FACS