Loud Breathing After Rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty/septoplasty 5 weeks ago and although I can breathe well, my family and friends say I breathe loudly. Any reason why that could be? Given that I breathe better after the surgery than before.

Loud breathing after surgery

+2

The passage of more air of course sounds louder and a deeper pitch. This does not sound abnormal dont be concerned

Heavy breathing after rhinoplasty

+1

The loud breathing after rhinoplasty is possible in the first month from swelling and congestion. After the first month if it continues then you have to wonder if your allergies are causing nasal congestion or did something change at the time of surgery.

Two of the common reasons are;

1. Change in the nasal valve. This is the area just above the nostrils that sometimes start collapsing after the trimming of cartilages at the time of rhinoplasty

2. Scarring and vestibular stenosis. This is a scar tissue inside the nostrils that narrows the breathing area and leads to congestion.

You should go back to your surgeon for an evaluation and see an Otolaryngologist (ENT doctor) as well to get properly diagnosed.

Regards

Dr J

Disclaimer:

This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Loud

+1

After rhinoplasty, the nasal passages will change in the first six months.  So, noisy airways will likely resolve on their own by that time.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon