Septoplasty with Nasal Valve Reconstruction?

I have a deviated septum. My ENT recommends a septoplasty operation in conjunction with nasal valve reconstruction (warranted because I have thin nostrils). My ENT says that the nasal valve reconstruction will change the appearance of my nose slightly. The thing is, I like my nose and do not wish to alter its outward appearance, particularly if it would mean a wider nose. In your experience, how drastically does a functional, bilateral nasal valve reconstruction procedure widen the nose? thanks!

Nasal valve reconstruction does not necessarily change appearance

+1
Nasal valve reconstruction can involve sometimes one but potentially multiple areas of collapse repair. The nasal appearance after nasal valve reconstruction can be engineered so that it is not noticeably changed, depending on the area addressed, by strategically placing the needed grafts in hidden areas or by counteracting in other areas. Consult with an experienced rhinoplasty specialist for best results

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deviated Septum and Nasal Valve Collapse

+1

Hi,

If you have nasal obstruction due to a deviated nasal septum and nasal valve collapse, you may want to do both to fix the breathing. He may only want to do spreader grafts. That will should  have a minimal impact on the width of your bridge.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

See a surgeon who can show you

+1

Hi,

You have a valid concern. I would suggest seeing a Facial Plastic Surgeon who is an ENT and a Plastic Surgeon of the face and neck so that you can get the best of both worlds in this particular case since breathing is involved.  But more importantly you should insist on your surgeon performing digital computer imaging so that you can see the potential changes before going through the surgery.  Your nose will get wider but no one on here can tell you how wide and if it will be an aesthetic problem without first seeing you.

Good luck

Shervin Naderi, MD, FACS
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon