Loose Skin Under Chin After Lower Lift (Photos)

Follow up to this question.

It's been about 16 months since my lower, or what my doctor called, a subtle facelift because I didn't have a lot of jowling or loose skin; unfortunately, I have it now. I had some lipo under my chin and the scar is pretty jagged and the loose, bumpy skin is visible from one side of my face.

I could tell a week after surgery that something was not right. My surgeon doesn't share my concern. Is there anything that can be done, short of revision? Steroid injection or a tightening laser?

Submental tuck (platysmaplasty)

+2

would rectify your loose skin and muscle. This could be performed in the office under local anaesthetic if you desired.

London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Loose Skin Under Chin After Lower Lift

+2

Your neck area can be improved. At 16 months post surgery it is highly unlikely that time will lead to any improvement in the contour of your neck, unfortunately. The options range from revision of the area under your neck to a revision of the necklift. An in person consultation will help determine the best course of action. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck irregularity after neck lift

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos.  I believe I am seeing both theunderlying platysma muscle edges as well as contour irregularity of the underlying fat.  A neck lift would involve suturing the muscle edges together, possibly evening the fat irregularity out, and redraping the skin.  A more thourough evaluation may indicate that fat grafting to the neck may also be beneficial but this is more likely in aggressively liposuctioned necks in youger individuals.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Loose Skin Under Chin After Lower Lift?

+1

If you elected to have the liposuction under the chin after the facelift, it is possible to get an area of skin that is displeasing; especially if your skin has less elasticity. These two procedures are usually done in conjunction to get the best possible outcome. I recommend you consider scheduling a consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon and talk about revision options to correct the area of skin there. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Redundant skin below chin after facelift

+1

After 16 months your concerns will not disappear on their own. I believe you need to have your procedure revised and would approach it locally below the chin (submental approach). I do not believe that at this late date that non-surgical procedures will be of much benefit. If you have lost faith in your plastic surgeon see another who is board certified in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Loose skin after facelift

+1

I agree with many of the other posts that a submentalplasty is the way to go and you may need some posterior vector skin lift with revision of facelift incisions. As a caution to other readers when a doctor says "subtle face life or partial facelift" and  you are not happy with the results you probably should have seen a board certified plastic surgeon who knows how to do a complete facelift. There are always shortcuts and mini procedures out there but, they may not make you look much better and in this case of course the patient looks worse!  Best wishes, you should look better with proper revision surgery.

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

+1

Revision platysmaplasty and liposuction or direct excision  from a midline incision likely will improve things for you .  Your surgeon may need to undermine the area of concern broadly and possibly trim some of the redundant skin from the sides. Good luck.

Philip Solomon, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Submentoplasty revision.

+1

It would appear that there are 2 issues contributing to the less than ideal result:  1) irregular contours of the deep structure (platysma muscle and fat) and 2) excesss skin.  An ideal correction will likely require a revision open procedure with a dual approach:  a) from the front (submentoplasty) to recontour the platysma and fibrofatty tissue and b) from the back (face-neck lift) to tighten the platysma-fascial layer and remove the excess skin by redistributing it from front to back.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

What is the best way to improve my neck?

+1

From the pictures that you have provided it looks like the muscle is creating much of the contour abnormality that you are dissatisfied with. A revision neck lift with tightening of this muscle could provide you with some benefit. It also appears that you have some skin contour irregularity underneath the chin. It's possible that a procedure such as ultherapy may provide some benefit for this problem. Make sure to consult with experienced facial plastic surgeons who will provide you with options.

Todd C. Miller, MD