Risk for Sculptra with Keloid Conditions?

Im 30, chinese & had history of keloid conditions. I have recently paid for Sculptra for my face. I have just looked at the website for more detail to realise that sculptra is not for people who has keloid. Since i have paid for it and may not be issued a refund, wonder how dangerous would it be to go ahead? I have keloids on my chest, back and on my bum only never had it on my face from acne/injury. Any doctors / people have experience (with failing/successful stories) would help alot!

Concerns About Keloids

+2

First, If you are worried, I suggest discussing your concerns with your physician.  You two may decide on a different filler with your history of keloids.  I would hesitate to inject a persons face with Sculptra if they had severe keloiding.

New Orleans General Surgeon

Sculptra is Contra-Indicated in Patients with Keloid History

+2

Hi Gin,

I would advise my patients to not have Sculptra treatment with a strong history of Keloid formation.  In your case, the practitioner who took your payment for Sculptra should refund you without question, as there is risk for you to have complications from the treatment.  In the future, please choose your treating physician more carefully, one that will not treat you "for the money" in the face of a contra-indication to treatment. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Fat grafting is a possible alternative to Sculptra for keloid prone individuals

+2

Sculptra is a collagen-stimulator, and as such may not be suitable for individuals prone to keloids.  A possible alternative to Sculptra for volume enhancement is autologous fat grafting ( the fat suctioned from an individual's own abdomen or other donor site using a very small cannula, and then injected in the areas needing augmentation).  However, if you are extremely prone to keloids, even a small wound or incision may precipitate a problem, and may require monitoring and possible treatment for hypertrophic scarring.

Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra & Keloids

+2

The manufacturer of Sculptra recommends that the product not be used on individuals with a history of keloids.  Sculptra works by stimulating collagen and the source of keloids is excessive collagen stimulation.  It is possible that you could develop lumpiness in the areas treated.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra Treatment with Keloids History

+1

Thank you for your question. The safest thing to do is not be injected.  Hopefully, the people you paid the money will do the honorable thing and refund the money or offer an alternate product which is safer.  HA is very safe if applicable for your location of choice. I hope this helps!

Bay Area Dermatologist

Keloids and Sculptra

+1

Please have a visit with an experienced plastic surgeon- many patients who describe keloid formation really just have hypertrophic scars. 

If you have true keloid formation, do not use Sculptra and avoid all shots that you can. 

Best wishes!!

What is risk of Sculptra causing keloid in patient with keloid condition?

+1

While I know that the insert for Sculptra states not to use in patients with history Keloids, I have never heard of or seen personally or  in the literature a case of keloid from sculptra injection.  I have talked to many physicians who use Sculptra and none has seen a keloid.  As you have experienced personally, risk of keloids are greatest on chest and back and it is rare to see one on the face and the needle sticks from sculptra are not traumatic enough to cause keloid.  While nodules is a risk of sculptra these nodules are not keloids and can occur in patients without a history of keloids.   However, if you are uncomfortable and prefer not to get the treatment, I would think you should be able to get a refund.

Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon