How long do I need to wait before having my second CO2 fractionated laser?

I had my first CO2 Fractionated laser treatment on July 31 2013. My doctor says I need another 2 treatments for my deep acne scars. I improved 20% after my first treatment. I am happy with the results. I do not know if it is time for my second treatment. My doctor says it is all right to do that now, but I am afraid to get deeper scars if it is done too soon. Thank you very much for your answer.

Wait Time Between Laser Treatments

Great question! I typically have my patients wait six months before repeating a fractionated C02 treatment.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Fractional CO2 laser

How long to wait after your first CO2 laser treatment depends on how aggressively the treatment was done.  If the treatment was gentle, it could likely be repeated after a month or longer.  If the treatment was aggressive, I wait about six months to see the maximum skin regeneration and collagen formation from the treatment.  

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Fractional Laser

Fractional CO2 lasers such as Active FX and Deep FX stimulate collagen and elastin production in the deep layers of the skin. With this innovative technique, the collagen production doesn’t stop after the treatment. Collagen production continues well after the treatment has finished, so you will continue to see improvement in your skin for months afterward.It generally takes at least 6 months for the full effects of collagen to occur and I have found continued improvement for up to 2 years. I typically recommend waiting 6 months before having a second fractional laser treatment, unless a mild treatment was performed.

Melda A. Isaac, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon