How Long Should There Be Swelling After a Breast Lift with Implants?

My surgery was April 25th, I'm 5 days post op and I'm still swollen and my breast don't look like "breast" how long before the breast start to take shape? I was a small c cup before surgery and I have 400cc's on both Saline implants.

Recovery after breast augmentation/mastopexy

+2

Your breasts will look quite strange one week after breast augmentation and mastopexy surgery. Breast implants alone almost invariably appear too high on the chest wall 1 week after placement. The skin envelope will soften and the implants settle notably over the next 3 months or so. Breast lifts also appear unusual after surgery, depending upon the technique. The vertical breast lift procedure needs to look unusually tight at the bottom at one week in order to appear normal at the 3 month mark. Ask your surgeon if he/she has photos of other patients at the one week time period. It will make you feel much more comfortable knowing that  almost all patients have to go through this time of waiting for the swelling and tightness to resolve. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Results of breast lift

+2

Although some improvement should be evident after surgery, it can take up to six months for the result to be apparent, and sometimes longer, depending on the surgical approach and healing.  Five days postop is much, much too soon to come to any conclusions as to the result.  Certainly with 400 cc implants, there should be some increase in size but the shape does take time to resolve so be patient.  Speedy recovery.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

How long does swelling last after a lift with implants?

+2

Five days is quite early, it takes months for the swelling to resolve and for your breasts to take shape, relax and allow the swelling to resolve.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Swelling Normal after Augmentation

+1
Dear toots, Thank you for your post. It is very common to be about a size bigger right after surgery than what your final result will be. Swelling starts to occur right after surgery and tends to peak in the first week. After about a month you will have lost most of the swelling, but still not completely at baseline. After about another 3 months or so, you will have lost 99% of your swelling, but still you have a pretty good idea at 1 month. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on bras until 3 months as they might not fit perfectly after all the swelling goes away. Also, the more activity you have, the longer the swelling stays, the more that needs to be done as far as lift etc. with surgery, the longer your swelling stays. Best Wishes! Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon