How Long Does the Average Patient Wear Their Girdle After a Tummy Tuck?

Are there times after the recovery period has ended that a patient may want to wear the girdle again?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

How long does a patient wear the compression garment after surgery?

+1

I generally recommend my patients wear the Veronique compression girdles four to six weeks after liposuction surgery.  The abdominoplasty procedures depend on the extent of the surgery, a mini-abdominoplasty is 3 weeks while a full abdominoplasty is 6 weeks.

Many of my patients will put their garments on for support up to three months after the surgical procedure.

Washington Plastic Surgeon

Compression after tummy tuck.

+5

The compressive garment after tummy tuck is necessary for 3 weeks post surgery.  I suggest that a "Spanx" type garment is used for an additional 3 weeks.  After 6 weeks, a mild sports garment may complete the transition.  No active "abs" exercise for 3 months  is suggested.

Use of binder after a tummy tuck

+3

I ask my patients to use a supporting garment (not necessarily a binder/girdle) for six weeks after surgery. However I suspect each surgeon will have a slightly different recommendation, and there is no absolute right or wrong answer.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

+3

Opinions vary. I have had experience with hundreds of Tummy Tucks and stopped using binders-compression garments-girdles in my Tummy Tuck patients.

In MY opinion, not using such garments after a Tummy Tuck  is
- a LOT more comfortable to the patient (Happier patient leads to quicker recovery)
- it allows MUCH easier breathing (less fever and pneumonias),
- easier movement (decreased risk of deep vein clots),
- decreased interference with blood flow in the skin of the lower tummy (with less wound complication due to ischemia - lower blood flow resulting in tissue death)
- NO appreciable increase in swelling
- Saving on the cost of purchasing and maintaining these garments.

In summary, it is cheaper AND leads to quicker recovery to NOT use a compression garment. So what's NOT to love?

Peter A Aldea, MD

Girdle / Elastic Garment Time after Tummy Tuck

+1

Three to six weeks is the usual range for most patients to wear elastic garments, but if it feels comfortable to wear a Spanx or similar garment then there would be no harm in doing so if a good fit.

How long to wear a girdle?

+1

There is not any real science for how long to wear a girdle after tummy tuck. I recommend 6 weeks because is gives you support of the muscle tightening. Many patients choose to wear it for several weeks more as it gives them a little more help with swelling throughout the day. As long as the girdle fits well it should be comfortable and give you a sense of security.

Compression garment

+1

I recommend using a compression garment for 6 weeks after a tummy tuck.  Many of my patients find them comfortable and want to wear them even longer for that extra "support".  I have a few patients who can't stand wearing them so we monitor the swelling closely and will get them out of the garment and into something lighter such as spanx as soon as possible.  The garment if meant to help reduce swelling and prevent fluid collections from accumulating (seromas).  They are not meant to be torture devices, however.  Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.plasticsurgeryrenotahoe.com

Reno Plastic Surgeon

Wear the garment for as long as you get a benefit

+1

I tell my patients to wear the garment for 4-6 weeks, and this inital garment is generally a stiffer material.  After that I recommend going to a more breathable and more comfortable garment that conceals easily with clothing.  Since swelling and bruising can be slightly different from person to person, some may derive more benefit from the garment than others.  Some women really dislike the garment, while some find good support and comfort in their garment.  As you recover and become more active after the 1st month, you'll find that you may have some swelling which will respond well to some form of compression.  In the end, I suspect that every patient will decide for themselves how long they wish to wear it.  

Southport Plastic Surgeon

Compression after tummy tuck

+1
Patients usually wear the girdle for at least a month and, when the swelling goes down, they move on to lighter compression such as Spanx or a body shaper. After the initial recovery period, you should wear whatever makes you feel most comfortable and enhances your appearance.

Compression garment, tummy tuck

+1

I generally have patients wear a compressive abdominal binder for 3-4 weeks.  In the fourth week, I usually have them wear this only during the day. If the patient has Liposuction of the thighs or back they may have to wear garments longer (5-6 weeks) but I get them out of the binder first and transition to a more comfortable garment or even Spanx. 

Web reference: http://www.drsundin.com

Richmond Plastic Surgeon