After a Tummy Tuck Will I Be Limited on my Food Intake for the Rest of my Life? Will my Stomach Get Enlarged Again?

Tummy tuck can help you loose weight

+1

The answer is no. What you are experiencing now is the tightness of your abdominal muscles. This creates intra-abdominal pressure which translates into early satiety by your brain. Without additional support (large mesh placement) your muscles will eventually stretch out and you will no longer feel full early. You could however take advantage of this and prevent re-stretching by not overeating. In the long run, this will help you maintain a healthy weight. Of course, implementing a healthy diet and exercise are crucial for an over all healthy life.

Hope this helps, Dr. H

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Keeping weight off after tummy tuck

+1

Most women who have a tummy tuck feel "full" afterward, which results in about a 10-pound weight loss, but this is temporary. This is a result of tightening of the muscle, which increases the pressure on the stomach area. Try to maintain a diet and exercise program after surgery to help sustain your great result. Best wishes!

Donna Rich, MD

Tummy tuck and eating

+1
You must be thinking of bariatric or weight loss surgery. Abdominoplasty has nothing to do food absorption and will not affect your ability to eat. The loss of appetite or feeling of fullness initially after surgery is based on a combination of the swelling and the effects of general anesthesia. Full appetite returns quite quickly, much to some patient's chagrin.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Diet after tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question.  Tummy tuck with or without liposuction is no substitute for weight loss and does not prevent weight gain in the future after surgery. It is recommended that you get as close to the weight you want to be before undergoing either of these procedures.  Afterward, maintaining a healthy lifestyle with good diet and exercise will help you keep the results you get from surgery.  If you gain a significant amount of weight or if your weight fluctuates significantly, then you may end up need the procedures again.

I hope this helps.  Best of Luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Stomach fullness after abdominoplasty

+1

Nothing is done to the stomach during an abdominoplasty. Often the abdominal muscles will be tighten which may produce a sense of fullness that often resolves. An abdominoplasty is not a license to eat however.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Tummy Tucks, Stomach Size and Long-Term Results

+1

While a tummy tuck will reduce the size of one's abdomen and reshape the waistline, it has very little to do with one's true stomach. One's abdominal area gets big because of the accumulation of fat and stretching of the skin and stomach muscles. It is not due to the size of one's stomach which lies behind the abdominal wall muscles and is surprisingly small compared to the shape of one's abdomen. One may feel fuller after eating after a tummy tuck for awhile due to the pressure on the stomach as it expands with food due to the tightened abdominal muscles which lie in front of it. That feeling will pass several months after surgery as one gets used to it. Some may argue that this is an additional benefit of a tummy tuck because it makes you want to eat less. How long the shapely results of a tummy tuck last does partially depend on the stability of one's weight. If you gain weight, you will likely thicken up your middle. Barring future pregnancies, however, excess and loose abdominal skin will not recur.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

A tummy tuck does not impact how the inside of your abdomen functions

+1

A tummy tuck is performed above the abdominal cavity and therefore does not impact the intra-abdominal function (the way the organs work).  Initially you may feel full sooner just because the abdominal wall is tighter but this is a temporary event that relaxes within the first month or so.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

After a tummy tuck will I be limited on my food intake forever?

+1

If you seem to be getting full sooner while eating, that is a temporary sensation.  If your fascia/muscles were tightened during a tummy tuck, as they usually are, your intra-abdominal pressure is increased as your bowels are "pushed back" where they belong.  Although the fascia repair is essentially permanent, you will accommodate over time and your sensations after eating should return to normal.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Tummy Tuck and Stomach?

+1

After the tummy tuck surgery many patients report that they feel “full” with smaller amounts of food intake. This may be related to the  abdominal muscle repair and  Increased pressure on intra-abdominal organs including the stomach. This feeling of “early satiety”  results with time (several months). Stomach size itself is not altered with the tummy tuck surgery.

Food intake not affected

+1

Although you may feel full after having a tummy tuck for a while, this will go away with time. The tightening of the abdominal wall has no effect on the stomach directly. That only occurs with lap band or gastric bypass surgery.

Michael Hueneke, MD